Second Batch - Lagunitas IPA Clone Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just got around to brewing my second batch. It is a Lagunitas IPA clone from Austin Homebrew Supply. This is still an extract batch (Hoping to go to Mini-Mash this next time).

However, I have a question about the recipe. The recipe called for adding 3.25 oz of Cascade hops at 0 minutes left from the boil. This isn't suggesting that this is a dry hop since the recipe specifically states that it is not. I'm not sure if that means I should add the hops right as I begin to cool the wort.

I was assuming that it needed at least a minute to boil for the hops, so that is what I did. I added the hops about a minute before I stopped the boil. Since the guys at AHS weren't in the store yet, I just went forward.

Is this OK, or was there something specific that the recipe was trying to do that I might have screwed up?

0 minutes usually means right when you kill the heat, or "flameout." This is because the most delicate oils in the hops are the ones that produce the hop aroma, and boiling can drive them off. What you did will be just fine though, I wouldnt sweat it at all.

you okay adding hops at 0 or flameout means after the boil but 1 minute before flameout is good.

You did not screw up at all. It will turn out great...a difference of 1 minute will make little difference.

Eric

I just put the beer into secondary today and it tasted great!

I am going to post pictures and let you see it.

The final gravity ended up being about 1.010 (Approx 6.2%)

Just bottled today (A week and a half later than I wanted).

It's amazing how good a hoppy beer tastes without carbonation. WAAAY better than my hef without carbonation.

Can't wait to try this. Already tasting good to me.

Back