Mash Body Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW33

Reaction score
I have been full grain brewing for quite some time now and I have always mashed 2-row grains separate from the body grains. For the body grains, I get a 2nd pot with about 1.5 gallons of water. I heat the water just until bubbles start to form on the bottom of the pot, then I turn it off, add the body grains and let it sit for half an hour and then I strain and sparge and then add to the wort.

My question is has anyone mashed their body grains with the 2 row grains? If so did you notice a difference? Is there a difference?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Actually, I never even considered mashing them seperate. I don't know anyone who does and I've been all grain for 30 years.

The reason I did was for body only not for fermenting. Brewing today and I'm going to put them all together. We'll see.

By steeping the specialty grains separate from the base grains you are essentially mimicing an extract brew. As a result I do not think the specialty grains will contribute much to the ABV, butI really have not noticed any damage to the final brew by mixing them. Go ahead and mash them all together. You will save yourself a bit of extra work and cleaning one pot. On the other hand, if you feel your beers are better this way, be a revolutionary and keep on keeping on. It will not hurt anything.

Back