Wanted: good recipe utilizing Irish Ale or London Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello All.

I am planning a brewday this weekend and would like to use one of the yeasts I have "in stock", reclaimed from past brews. The yeasts I have are both from White Labs: Irish Ale and London Ale.

The last two brews I did were a dry stout and a British Pale Ale....So i would like to do something other than those two styles.

Other than that, I am pretty much looking for a good, tried and true recipe that would use the above yeasts.

Maybe an Irish Red type ale? or a brown ale?

Something with a decent amount of alcohol.

All grain and batch sparge. I usually do 11 gallon batches... (but, I can always scale the recipe. )

Thanks guys!!!

Happy Holidays!!:mug:

Try the Pilsung Porter recipe in my dropdown list with the London Ale strain. I've brewed it twice and enjoyed both batches quite a bit. There's a 5 gallon extract version and a 15 gallon AG version in the recipe thread.

This recipe is well proven around my brewery and used to split batches with other friends. The ONLY time this didn't turn out was a well used yeast that sent my batch FUBAR due to some nasties. Every other time it's been right on AWESOME. I'll add it to recipe DB in a few.

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/26/2007
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 12.55 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.2 %
1.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1.40 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 18.6 IBU Calories: 190 cal/pint
Est Color: 15.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
Sparge Water: 10.08 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 21.25 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Man, these all sound good!

I think it's gonna be the hops available!

If my LHBS has the hops, I think I am gonna try for Jezter's Irish Red this time...

Only, maybe beef up the Maris Otter to 20 lbs and the carapils to 2 pounds, just to up the alcohol a bit. Also gonna up the 15 min hops to 1 oz, to keep the hop profile close to yours, Jezter.

Thanks, all!

Sounds good. Don't need a whole lot of aroma hop anyways for the irish. We just do it out of principle!

Post over in my recipe thread once you've done it and let me know what you think.

I called my LHBS and am gonna pick up the ingredients this evening, for a sunday brew day. I will definitely post in your recipe thread, Jezter

Back