Potential bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonx06

Reaction score
I only got like 4.5 gallons of my dipa instead of 5 gallons. Stupidly i used all 5 ounces of priming sugar. After 1 week i had a big co2 sound but no bubbles. I know its early but the longer it sits the more co2 will build up. It was definitely to sweet also. I hope more of the hops come through.

I only got like 4.5 gallons of my dipa instead of 5 gallons. Stupidly i used all 5 ounces of priming sugar. After 1 week i had a big co2 sound but no bubbles. I know its early but the longer it sits the more co2 will build up. It was definitely to sweet also. I hope more of the hops come through.

Don't worry about it. I had used 5 oz with 4 gallons and it turned out fine.

Of course this depends on if you let it ferment for long enough to raech your FG. If your yeast wasn't done fermenting then you may have a problem.

Let it go another week or so then check it.

Next time use a brew calculator to determine the amount of sugar to add according to the volume and the type of beer you made. Your beer should have around 4 oz of cane sugar.

If you are worried then keep the cases covered and/or put them in the fridge. I don't think it will be a problem though.

It was definitely done. Og was 1.082 and final was 1.020. It sat in primary for 3 weeks. i discovered the calculator afterwords. I will use it next time. I'm just gonna try one a week until it's done. They are covered in there cardboard box.

They may be overcarbonated, but I don't think you have to worry about bottle bombs. You might hit 3 volumes of CO2, but this isn't high enough to blow up your bottles.

Same here, Ive used 5oz on 4.5 gals twice already, not bombs, not overcarbed. As long as FG was steady you should be alright

So i might just have some gushers. It stayed at 1.020 for a week. I guess ill find out soon. Its good to hear that I'm not the only one who used to much priming sugar. That won't happen again.

So i might just have some gushers. It stayed at 1.020 for a week. I guess ill find out soon. Its good to hear that I'm not the only one who used to much priming sugar. That won't happen again.

I don't even think you'll have gushers, just perhaps higher carbonation than "normal" (and maybe not even that)

Back