What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its growing on me

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

1389843927185.jpg

I lied about the previous nightcap. This will be the nightcap. So....much.....caramel!!!!

I knew it existed, but hadn't seen it around before. I'll definitely have to grab a few to age.

20140115_225134[1].jpg

Not really lol, I just always drank good sh#t. Single. Great job and partied

Ahhh...I had a family before I landed a job that afforded me the good sh#t in life. I was more referring to my high school days and many nights forcing myself to sleep through the spins after too much store brand vodka and bong loads.

Dont get me wrong its delicious. Just not up to what its built to.

Pliny, Hopslam, Heady...none of those beers can live up to what they've been built up top be because the hype around them is a runaway train. It's sucks to be disappointed by a really good beer because it didn't blow you away, but that's the nature of the beast. The one and only beer I have had that completely and fully lived up to the hype is Alpine Nelson...hands down my favorite IPA.

I seem to have the opposite problem. I tend to overcarbonate to perfection, which I think is around 4 volumes. I often shoot for 3.5 and then get some additional carb from the brett. I've got two beer with brett in secondary that I dry hopped yesterday trying to push them through to clear up the fermentors by next week and I'm a litttle unsure what to aim for when I bottle them. I'm thinking of priming for 2 volumes assuming they'll end up at 4 or better.

So your problem is perfection, lol ;)

I have a few beers that turned out pretty well, aside from undercarbing. They're all brett beers from a couple years back where I was a bit gun-shy on overcarbing b/c of brett, but in hindsight they had aged so long (9-12 months) that I just miscalculated that amount of remaining residual co2 and undershot my volumes. I'm going to aim for closer to 3-3.25 going forward for those longer aged brett beers going forward.

You are a saison nut huh? Hope you enjoyed the ones I sent :ban:

Love 'em. I haven't dug into any of them yet actually, but can't wait to dig into those Prairies and 2nd Shift, thanks again!

Pliny, Hopslam, Heady...none of those beers can live up to what they've been built up top be because the hype around them is a runaway train. It's sucks to be disappointed by a really good beer because it didn't blow you away, but that's the nature of the beast. The one and only beer I have had that completely and fully lived up to the hype is Alpine Nelson...hands down my favorite IPA.

Heady lived up to it for me. Blew my socks off.

Very few beers I can think of that actually meet or exceed the hype. Cantillon's the only brewer I can think of that routinely meets or exceeds the hype. Most don't even come close.

Lots of beers with no hype are great. I'd list some, but I value my shelf turds :)

That's a pretty awesome trio of hops. Looks caramely on the malt side...what grains did you use?

It's much less caramely than it looks thanks to the filter on the picture app I use. I use 69% 2row, 15% Maris Otter, 7% Munich, and 7% crystal 20. Mash low and fermented with us-05 to dry it out.

Latest posts

Back