over fermented with ec1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyleston

Reaction score
so this is my first attempt, and i feel like i did alright. maybe its the fact that i drank a liter of cider tonight speaking, but i managed to avoid a few pitfalls. but i think i did over ferment:: my cider is dry and after drinking a bottle of it i do have the heartburn.

i am thinking, should i sweeten the bottles with like one third raw cider to two thirds hard cider? because that is what i am drinking now, and it is a good bit tastier than the straight hard stuff. the hard stuff is too.... thin? it doesnt have a lot of body, and while i like it dry, this is pretty damn dry.

this was straight out of the carboy, after complete fermentation and a few weeks of aging, though. i guess it may be tastier once it has been carbonated?

any thoughts would be appreciated!

-noooooooooooooob.

i realized that i left out all the pertinent details.

6 gallon carboy
6 gallons of unpasteurized amish cider
two quarts of raspberries, reduced to a syrup and strained
5 lbs sugar in the raw
juice of half a lemon
one packet of ec1118

fermented for approx 21 days, rested for 10 days, bottled today.

Any idea how strong it is? I use 7# cane sugar for 5 gal keg but I use wild yeast,comes out about 10% and slightly sweet.

so this is my first attempt, and i feel like i did alright. maybe its the fact that i drank a liter of cider tonight speaking, but i managed to avoid a few pitfalls. but i think i did over ferment:: my cider is dry and after drinking a bottle of it i do have the heartburn.

i am thinking, should i sweeten the bottles with like one third raw cider to two thirds hard cider? because that is what i am drinking now, and it is a good bit tastier than the straight hard stuff. the hard stuff is too.... thin? it doesnt have a lot of body, and while i like it dry, this is pretty damn dry.

this was straight out of the carboy, after complete fermentation and a few weeks of aging, though. i guess it may be tastier once it has been carbonated?

any thoughts would be appreciated!

-noooooooooooooob.

Any additional sugar or juice you add (barring non-fermentables) will simply be turned into more alcohol by the yeast. BTW, is your cider even clear yet? If you want to sweeten it, you'll need to add non-fermentable sweeteners like lactose, maltodextrine, slpenda, or stevia. Some of the apple flavour will come back after it's aged a bit, but without added non-fermentables, it will still be dry. You could always just leave it as is & add some juice or sprite when you serve it, that's the easiest way. Regards, GF.

The only alternative to using a non-fermentable sweetener is to use sorbate and campden to stop the yeast before back-sweetening. Looking at your recipe, I suspect you won't want to do that.

Latest posts

Back