IPA recipe critque

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Thoughts on the recipe, mainly the hop schedule

7lbs extra light DME
1lb cane sugar
1lb rye
6oz melanoidin

1oz chinook at 60
1oz magnum at 60
.5 liberty at 30
.5 amarillo at 20
.5 cascade at 15
.5 liberty at 15
.5 amarillo at 10
.5 cascade at 5

1 oz columbus dry hop
1 oz amarillo dry hop

wyeast1450- cl50

for a 5.5g batch im getting approx
1069 og
75 ibu

thinking about taking the cascades out

Just throwing this out there, you can try first wort hopping your cascade additions. It will throw your IBU calcs off a bit since the flavor perception is significantly different (ie higher IBU's less bitter perception)

I have only FWH one beer so far, but the flavor was far superior to some of the other beers I have brewed.

It will be bitter and I don't think the hops towards the end are enough. If you want to taste and smell hops <15 minutes is enough. That liberty addition won't do much but make it more bitter. I'd up the hops towards the end and I'd drop the melanoidin malt altogether. I don't see it having any place in this recipe.

It will be bitter and I don't think the hops towards the end are enough. If you want to taste and smell hops <15 minutes is enough. That liberty addition won't do much but make it more bitter. I'd up the hops towards the end and I'd drop the melanoidin malt altogether. I don't see it having any place in this recipe.

As I was reading the recipe, I couldn't help but think, "Bitter!!!!!".

Magnum and chinook at 60 minutes (how many IBUs is that?) seem to be overly bitter, but it depends on the size of your boil. The late additions don't seem quite right, either. Get rid of the 30 minute liberty, since you won't get flavor or aroma out of them, probably decrease the 60 minute charge, and add some hops at 1 and/or 0 minutes instead of at 20 and 30.

possibly move the 30min liberty addition to flame out.

brewbuilder only gives me 75ibu with those 60min additions plus all the others. so now with the 30 down to flame out, it will be slightly lower. 75ibu isnt that much, im a fan of stone ruination

i have 1oz of chinook and 1oz of libery i want to use in the recipe.

than i have bulk amarillo, magnum, columbus, mt hood and cascade to use

Back