Help me spend my Birthday money!! :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waskelton4

Reaction score
It's fun spending somebody else's money right??

Here is the deal. I've got 200 bucks to spend and I think I know what I want to buy with it but I'd like some opinions..

Currently I'm an extract brewer doing 5 gallon batches and I don't see that changing anytime in the near future.

I have a 30qt (7.5gal) aluminum turkey fryer that (i think) due to it's tall skinny shape won't be able to do full boils because there isn't enough surface area for the foam to spread out over during the hot break. I've done two batches in it. 1 had 3 gallons and took 6 lbs of wheat DME. the second probably had 4.5 gallons and took 7 lbs of light LME and both took forever for the hotbreak to subside and the second I wasn't able to boil very hard because it kept creeping up on me.

does that sound true? (the tall skinny pot theory)

SO. to move to full boils I'll need to get a new brew pot.
I'm considering this one.
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6612
It is wider than it is tall which is surely not the case with my current one.
see pic
3522-IM000666.JPG

also.. if I am to begin full boils.. I'll need a chiller. Here are what i'm choosing from.
http://morebeer.com/browse.html?category_id=1073&keyword=&x=1&y=1

I'm planning on the WC20 model. nothing too fancy or too big. maybe if i step up later i can use it as a pre chiller. Will it do the job?

I also have a simple keg system on its way. (A b'day present from SWMBO! she's the best!) I don't have a fridge yet for it (which could be another use for the 200 bucks) but I'm having a hard time finding one the right size that will look nice enough that i'm allowed to leave it any place where anyone can see it. (for some reason SWMBO doesn't think that a kegerator belongs in the formal dining room. not sure what that is all about)

any recomendations on small, inexpensive keg fridges?

My morebeer purchase will also include many other misc things such as bottle caps, sanatizer and another ingredients kit.

thanks for the help.

ws

Here's my thinking:

I know you've recently started brewing, so it definitely looks like you're hooked but good.

If I were you, I would not spend the money on an 8 gallon pot. Here's why: You seem like the kind of person that is really throwing yourself into this. I predict that you're going to want to try all grain brewing at some point, and 8 gallons is just barely big enough to do that.

The main expense for basic AG brewing is the larger pot, so since you're about to incur that expense anyway, I'd go for a 9-10 gallon pot or a 15.5 gallon keggle, which you can get for not much more than that 8 gal pot you're looking at. Then you'll have your options open in the future. (The rest of a basic AG setup can be cobbled together quite inexpensively.)

That plus a used fridge for a kegerator are going to pretty much eat you $200. You can save a couple bucks by making your own wort chiller--it's pretty easy if you're the least bit handy.

ooo, lucky you. And Happy Birthday btw!!

Well to be honest, If I could do it all over again, I would go with a bigger kettle and longer chiller. A 25' chiller does ok when cooling 5 gallon batches. 25 minutes or so isnt too bad. Of course a 50' would be great.

Now if I could get myself a 14 gallon kettle, well 10 gallon batches would be sweet!! Not that much more work, but twice the beer.

Im like you, I'm doing extract currently. Ill get into AG, but not anytime soon. However, a nice Partial Mash setup couldn't hurt either.

Maybe a high pressure, high BTU burner would be a good bet. It would be useful as your system grows, would allow you to use your current pot and get you brewing outside as well. I agree that a keggle might be a way to go. Also, why not make your own immersion chiller. Get a copper coil from Home Depot and the appropriate hose fittings and call it good. Actually, for $35 the More Beer set-up is pretty easy!

I would ask what you want your system to grow into and what pieces begin to get you there. Have fun!

Brewpastor said:
Maybe a high pressure, high BTU burner would be a good bet. It would be useful as your system grows, would allow you to use your current pot and get you brewing outside as well. I agree that a keggle might be a way to go. Also, why not make your own immersion chiller. Get a copper coil from Home Depot and the appropriate hose fittings and call it good. Actually, for $35 the More Beer set-up is pretty easy!

I would ask what you want your system to grow into and what pieces begin to get you there. Have fun!

Thanks for the replies everyone..
I already have a propane burner and it is working great.
Those were my thoughts about buying the chiller also.. i don't think i'd save much money and those are probably built very well and the connections will be reliable and the 90deg bends in the tubing will be good and i won't risk crimping the tubing as if i tried.

the instawares pot looks like a great deal. it doesn't look as sturdy as the b3 pot but it is 2 gallons bigger and less than 10 bucks more.. thats nice.

At this point i really don't see the need to get into all grain brewing. maybe some mini-mash brews somewhere along the way if nothing else but for the sake of making more complex recepies.

thanks for all of the input..
ws

I have that ketttle from Morebeer. It is hefty on the bottom with strong handles and I fill it to the 7.5 gallon mark for full boils. I do have to watch it when the boil begins but I just turn the heat down and stir and have not had a problem with boilovers. Once it is at a roiling boil everything is good. Morebeer will notch the lid for you if combined with a chiller which was handy.

Happy Birthday!

I have the chiller you mentioned and a 10gal Polarware from BBB. I also am fairly new, but quickly started accumulating stuff.

If I could do my order over, I would get the 50 foot chiller. When in use, cold water exits my 25 foot chiller...what a waste!

My polarware is skinny, and it was advertised as being able to handle full boils. I haven't had an issue with hot breaks either.

Cheers.

BrewStef

Back