Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewithstewpid

Reaction score
Ok, this beer absolutly blew me away when I was able to try it.
Anyone ever have it, or tried to clone it? It is one of the Single Hop series from Hill Farmstead.

For style, it says a double IPA, 8% ABV, single hopped with Galaxy.

For hints to the recipe, I looked at their other double IPA, Abner, which says it is brewed with pale malt, caramel malt, and dextrose.

Anyone have any suggestions or other hints?

3.5 gallon batch
% LB OZ °L PPG
64% 5 8 Briess 2 Row Pale Malt Mash 2° 34
23% 2 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME Boil 2° 44
7% 0 10 Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Boil 0° 46
6% 0 8 Briess Caramel 40L Mash 40° 34

Specific Gravity
1.077 OG
18.7° Plato

1.016 FG
4.1° Plato
Color
7° SRM

Hops

Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
boil 60 min 1 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 60.7
boil 15 min 1 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 30.1
post-boil 30 min 2 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 0
Dry hop 5 day 2 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 0

90.8 IBU

You need a LOT more hops for a IIPA. Like, really a lot more. Even with a 3.5 gallon batch you should probably get 6 oz (at least!) of late hops plus a big dry hop of 3 oz or more (or multiple dry hops).

I would probably take the C40 down to 6oz, but apart from that it looks good. You could just drop the 2-row and go all extract and not even have to bother with a mash, just steep the C40 and add the dextrose at the beginning of the boil.

So I actually contacted hill farmstead over this beer and got a response from Shaun. Very nice of them to respond to a pretty ridiculous email! Class acts!

Anyways, he said send a recipe, so I did 88% pale ale malt, 7% dextrose, and 5% caramel 40. Galaxy hops at 60, 15, 0 and dry to 90 IBUs. In his email he said the best way to start cloning a beer is begin with a SMaSH. Maybe that's a hint???

Got a response about my recipe, they said it looked good, but no other comments on the actual double galaxy ipa. the only other comment in the email was "we lug lots of hops up the platform every day," in response to my guess there were not many kettle additions.
Maybe ill add another addition at 5 minutes? either way, very nice of them to repsond to my emails

Try this:

[size=+2]Recipe: Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy[/size]
Brewer: mewithstewpid
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 3.50 gal
Boil Size: 5.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
EStimated FG: 1.011 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 120.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        66.7 %        
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         2        5.6 %         
0.50 oz               Galaxy [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           3        34.1 IBUs     
2 lbs                 Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)              Dry Extract   4        22.2 %        
8.0 oz                Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)          Sugar         5        5.6 %         
0.50 oz               Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           6        31.0 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           7        30.8 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        24.8 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Galaxy [13.40 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 min  Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast         10       -             
2.00 oz               Galaxy [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs
Code:
Name              Description                             Step Temperature Step Time     
Mash In           Add 9.13 qt of water at 157.9 F         148.0 F          75 min

More than 4 oz of dry hops can get... messy IMHO. And there is a cutoff to how much aroma you can detect from dry hopping as well. Another problem with this is actually getting that many Galaxy hops. I know the last time I tried to get them most places limited you to 4-6oz per customer due to shortages.

Try this:

More than 4 oz of dry hops can get... messy IMHO. And there is a cutoff to how much aroma you can detect from dry hopping as well. Another problem with this is actually getting that many Galaxy hops. I know the last time I tried to get them most places limited you to 4-6oz per customer due to shortages.

Thats a really great, descriptive recipe. I like the additions of a FWH and a small 60min, and large 5 and 0 min additions.

Also, I "may" have 1.5lbs of galaxy in the freezer. I've been hoarding them all so no one else can buy any!

thanks for the comments

Their brews are fantastic. I wish it was easier to get my hands on some. From the hill farmstead brews ive tasted, I'd guess 3.5 gallons of one of their ipas should have on the order of a half lb of late addition and aroma hops

this was the final recipe I used:

7 Gallons
Mash at 152 for 75 min
Sparge at 170

20lb Golden Promise
1lb caramel 40
1lb corn sugar

1oz galaxy FWH
1oz Galaxy 60min
2oz Galaxy 15min
2oz Galaxy 5min
4oz Galaxy 0min (this was done in two 2oz additions after chilling to 170deg, each for a 20min hop stand)
4oz Galaxy dry hop (this was done in 3 equal additions, 1 during fermentation, and the other two over the course of 7 days post fermentation)

US-05 yeast

It's clear enough to see through !! Just kidding.

Alkalinity (as CaCO3) = 57.7
Bicarbonate Alk - 57.7
Chloride - 54.3
Fluoride = 1.05
hardness - 175
Nitrate (as N) - .08
Sulfate (as SO4) - 106
Calcium - 44.1
Iron = .16
magnesium - 11.6
potassium - 3.2
Sodium - 36.8

All in mg/L

These are all just numbers to me. I have really no idea what they mean. Just starting to try to make sense of the water chemistry thing. Spent some time yesterday trying to figure out EZ water calculator. Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks

So how did this turn out? Inquiring minds want to know...

It was really good, that galaxy hop is amazing. My wife said it smelled like jucicy juice. That being said, when i rebrew (and i will) it I will drop the caramel 40 and use caramel 10 or 20, and maybe half as much. it was too sweet with the 1lb of c40, way sweeter than the original.

Also, I would change the hop sched to 60min, 10 min, 0min, and dry hop. a

oh, and irish moss. this was a cloudy mofo that never cleared up.

Lighter crystal malts will just make the beer taste sweeter. If it was too sweet, I would suggest just dropping the amount of c40 instead of using a lighter crystal. Though the 5% c40 in your recipe seems like the right range to me...

Also, I find that certain citrusy hops like galaxy and citra can lend a sweet flavor themselves. Perhaps thats where the some of the perceived sweetness is coming from?

Lighter crystal malts will just make the beer taste sweeter. If it was too sweet, I would suggest just dropping the amount of c40 instead of using a lighter crystal. Though the 5% c40 in your recipe seems like the right range to me...

Also, I find that certain citrusy hops like galaxy and citra can lend a sweet flavor themselves. Perhaps thats where the some of the perceived sweetness is coming from?

yes this is definitely true about the hop-sweetness! The beer turned out way darker than i thought it would, and much darker than the original, which is also why i plan do use less, if any, caramel malt next time.

Since Shaun mentioned making a SMaSH and going from there, I thought you might be interested in the galaxy IPA I made. I used magnum hops for the bittering addition, but otherwise it is all galaxy and the grain bill is 100% 2-row. I've been lucky enough to try the Double Galaxy from HF, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how close my recipe comes to it. I would like to take what I have and work it into a DIPA that approximates Double Galaxy if I can. Here is my recipe.

Type: All Grain Date: 10/6/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.75 gal Brewer: Brac
Boil Size: 8.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment - round cooler
End of Boil Volume 6.75 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 6.54 gal Est Mash Efficiency 77.3 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
1.25 oz Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 36.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 3 18.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 13.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [15.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 7.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Galaxy [15.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

This is a picture of the first batch; the second batch is fermenting already.
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab305/DrBug/GalaxyIPaClear_zps4092a808.jpg

I'm a member of a homebrew club in Williamsburg Virginia, and we recently had a club competition of single hop beers. I wanted to do an IPA, and stumbled across this recipe in my search, and decided to give it a try. I agree, it turned out great. I just now saw the second page and wish I had seen it earlier, I agree about the cloudiness and the spanish moss. The hop/sweetness balance I think turned out pretty good, but I don't . Thanks for the recipe!

Back