Brewing in a bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryhav0c

Reaction score
Anyone know what type of bag you need to brew in a bag? I would like to buy some of these. It sure would make brew day much easier in many ways.

I went to Home Depot an bought 5 gallon paint strainer bags. These come 2 in a package and have an elastic top that holds them to the top of my turkey fryer pot. Total cost was less than $5.

RM-MN said:
I went to Home Depot an bought 5 gallon paint strainer bags. These come 2 in a package and have an elastic top that holds them to the top of my turkey fryer pot. Total cost was less than $5.

+1 I have used them several times over so it's not like brew once and your done with them.

You can also make your own using voile material. I bought a white voile curtain at Walmart and made 3-4 custom bags from it. It has a much tighter weave than the paint strainer bags. I do use the paint strainer bags but I usually use 2 in a batch. Never hurts to double bag something when it really counts.

I've found the paint strainer bags to be not big enough. I've purchased the largest size bags
From northern brewer (18x24 maybe?) and been happy with those. Just tie a knot in the top after you stir the grains for a couple minutes.

Back