Cold Break and hop filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Crew: I have been using a large hop bag, in a 10 gallon pot for 6 gallon brews, bottom side mount 1/2" SS valve with dip tube, 40 ft IC, use predominately whole leaf hops and am thinking about making a hop-stopper, ordering one of Jays or the Hopstopper. My current system works but truly feel too much hop flavor and aroma is being lost. Plus my system clogged when I brewed a double decoction this winter. The cold break actually clogged my dip tube while the hops were in the bag. I get a crapload of cold break with double decoction brewing.
So what do you recommended for a HS.
1) What mesh and wire size if I build my own? I'm thinking mesh size no smaller than 16x16. maybe 10x10? Too big? I was thinking ordering a sheet 12"x24" so I would have a 1 sq ft of HS molded into a 11x11x1 surface area
2) When is size of the wire too thick to work with. I want it to be strong enough to handle the weight of the IC but pliable to bend into desired shape.
3) Is cold break gonna clog it up? I am sure the hops will be fine but will the cold break coat the hops clogging the system. Has anyone had this happen?
$) Finally, if using hopstoppers is it crucial to cool with CFC?

Believe me I have read numerous threads and have posted to some but still have these lingering Qs as most post address pellet hops. Sorry for the length but wanting to address everything. Thanks for your input, Charlie

A simple way is to just drain the cooled wort into a sanitized bucket with a 5 gallon paint strainer in it. Then remove the strainer and pitch yeast. I only ferment in glass, so I used to just pour from the bucket into the carboy. That's the cheapest way.

_

A simple way is to just drain the cooled wort into a sanitized bucket with a 5 gallon paint strainer in it. Then remove the strainer and pitch yeast. I only ferment in glass, so I used to just pour from the bucket into the carboy. That's the cheapest way.

_

Are you saying pour OR drain the 5.5 gallons from the boil pot to the fermenter. I use to pour through strainers and colanders but then installed a side ball valve. Now I have to worry about hops and CB. At times the valve actually clogs with only cold-break. My goal is to get rid of the hop bag and just open the valve.

Back