total newb here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
just got a hop plant from my coworker. it's more than a rhizome, about 10 inches high with some of the vines being pretty woody towards the base with new growth coming out the top. i have no idea how old it is or any of it's history.

so my big questions:
do i treat this as a "first year" plant or an older plant with regards to things like pruning growths and such?
is there a way i can determine what variety it is? i have no idea, and neither does my coworker.

bump/more info.
so, i planted it in a very large pot in a mixture of organic potting soil and compost on sunday night. watered it in, and have left it alone until today, when i went out to check on it.
today, the new growth is wilting, and overall sad looking. what can i do to save it? the soil is still moist, but not soggy, wather has been fairly mild (mid fifties monday and yesterday, mid sixties today, lows down to the mid thirties

also, it has about 10-15 woody growths of varying sizes, from which the new growth is sprouting. should i just leave them all be, since they're well established? or should i prune back all but the strongest?

The wilting is most probably just transplant shock. Leave it alone or better yet, go on a two week vacation and when you come back you'll see a bunch of new shoots popping up. Have a beer and don't worry about it!

sorry, I forgot about your first question.

By the description you give, it sounds like you got a crown or a portion of it so I'd expect it to perform close to a mature plant. It may be set back a little from being transplanted but it'll do fine. Probably the best bet to determine the variety is to start smelling and comparing once you get some cones.

Back