Czech pilsner @ less than 3%????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
I've had it in the primary for almost 3 weeks. I took the OG after pitching WL Budjovice yeast and it read 1.041. I took the FG just now and it read 1.014? Any ideas?

Well, 1.041 is a pretty low gravity beer. 1.014 seems about right for a finishing gravity. By my math, that gives you 3.54% ABV.

If you wanted a higher ABV beer, you'd have to start with a higher OG which simply means more fermentables. A beer of 1.055 OG would give you about 5.3%.

I may have taken the og at too high of a temp. How did you do that math yooper? I was always taught og minus fg then multiply by 105. Is this wrong?

i suspect this thread has mixed Alcohol by Volume (ABV) and Alcohol by Weight, since a drop of almost 30 points will give you more than 3% (if memory serves).

oh, one last thing--at 3.5% you'll have a very fine, easy to enjoy beer. don't sweat it, i have a feeling you'll love it ;)

I just tasted it pre-carb, and it was excellent! Thanks for the help.

i'll take a bottle for my consulting fee :D:D:D

no but really, czech lagers are amazing things. i was completely ignorant until i tasted them un-skunked. i am gonna be making one here soon and i hope it's good.

I see you're out in Eugene. How do you like it? I've got some friends in Portland and Grants Pass, and I was thinking about moving out there.

Latest posts

Back