First brew is in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Easier than I thought but I probably messed up somewhere. Used the recipe from the WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS thread... The only thing I think I messed up on was I dropped the temp REAL fast and lower than 70 degrees. Put the brew pot in a sink full of ice water ( I sell cookware and they are VERY conductive so it dropped QUICK.) Then I poured the boiled wort into the primary over some ice water .. I was below 70 in under ten minutes.........I had to heat up water and add back in..... ANYWAY I got it to 70 and the yeast was started and also at 70 so I took an OG reading ( 1.052) and pitched the yeast...... My son was here and HAD to taste the drops left in the hydrometer tube. If it tastes this good finished I will be happy. NOW to start worrying lol...I have a 6 pack of pale bock lager so ease my mind.

Easier than I thought but I probably messed up somewhere. Used the recipe from the WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS thread... The only thing I think I messed up on was I dropped the temp REAL fast and lower than 70 degrees. Put the brew pot in a sink full of ice water ( I sell cookware and they are VERY conductive so it dropped QUICK.) Then I poured the boiled wort into the primary over some ice water .. I was below 70 in under ten minutes.........I had to heat up water and add back in..... ANYWAY I got it to 70 and the yeast was started and also at 70 so I took an OG reading ( 1.052) and pitched the yeast...... My son was here and HAD to taste the drops left in the hydrometer tube. If it tastes this good finished I will be happy. NOW to start worrying lol...I have a 6 pack of pale bock lager so ease my mind.

You can be under 70 degrees, you just don't want to be higher. Heat kills the little yeasties but cold just slows them down a bit. Dropping the temp REAL fast is the goal. The faster the better. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. :mug:

not worried...worst thing that can happen is I make beer....best thing that can happen is I make good beer...either way it will be drank as long as it is safe. Thanks for the reply. I am learning and appreciate all of you guys....even when you are busting my ba##s over the SWMBO question lol!!!

Too funny. I cooled my first batch today down farther than I wanted to as well! When it hit the yeast in the primary it was at about 55 degrees!

Hopefully we'll both have some tasty beverages in several weeks!

just read on here that thre is an issue with the Nottingham yeast.. I rehydrated it and it was foaming before I put it in the wort. hopefully It is OK.

What issue did the Nottingham yeast have?

I will have to search for it again but a thread caught my eye while I was surfing that said Nottingham was not starting, or was starting REALLY slowly...Mine seems fine,
I do wish I had spent the money on a 6.5 gallon carboy so I could see what was happening....My primary is thick white plastic. I can see the dark brown of the beer and the light brown on the Kraussen but it is hard to tell what is happening.....I am however pretty patient......... I am a LITTLE worried about temps. My house is an old house in the country, and we haven't startd the furnace yet this year....don't even have propane yet so the temp is varying in here quite a bit...it is NOT getting too warm but I am concerned that it can get too cold. For example this morning it is actually kind of chilly. I figure that it will be OK just may take a bit longer.

I have a gallon of water setting beside the primary that the blow off tube runs into. I just dropped a thermometer in that ( not gonna open the primary) and it is at 65 degrees, so i guess I am ok.

I am using nottingham as well right now - fermentation started within 24 hours. It looks good. I'm not sure what batch it was, but I wouldn't worry about it if you start seeing activity within 24-72 hours.

Back