Family Recipe Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radecky

Reaction score
For the last 6 years I have been brewing with my wife's family at a "brew your own" shop. After running through all the recipies they offer and being poor; 2 years ago I started to put together the equiptment to brew at home. Well short of a propane tank. Finally guess who is ready to brew at home. I have come up with my own recipe unbenonst to the establishment......but it is a formula for 15+/- us gal of finished beer and it is a extract brew. I want to share it with the members of this board for critizim as well as a contribution in return for the knowlege that has been passed along over the years. Plus I would like to know what I need to do convert the extract to grains for my 1st all grain brew to pop the cherry on my rig and to fix any glaring mistakes. So without any further adue:

The grains/extract

4 lbs. Vienna Malt
4 lbs. 2-Row Barley
2 lbs. CaraPils Malt
6 lbs. 2-Row Barley
4½ liters Light Liquid Malt Extract

The Hops
60 grams Perle Hops (60 min.)
40 grams Tettnang Hops (30 min.)
25 grams Tettnang Hops (5 min.)

The Yeast
Wyeast 1056

This is the normal 60 min. boil with a 60 min. "mash if you'll call it that"
This makes about 15 +/- us gal of beer. the finer points I'm not sure of but I will find out once I scale this down and finally brew it on my deck.

What would you do to improve this recipe? is there any glaring issues? What would you recomend to replace the extract?

B-

Back