Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm up for round 5 whenever it happens...beggars can't be choosers. As always I am grateful for the work you ladies put into the group buys. With that being said, I would probably have bought more grain if the buy had fallen near a payday (once a month). For obvious reasons I don't want to order 5 sacs then realize I can't pay for it a week later. So next time the orders start flying in, I will most likely be stocking up with more than one sac.

Just checking in. E-check status says pending until 24 Feb. If it indeed clears on that date, I'll be ordering Friday. I'll post the delivery date once it is confirmed.

Just checking in. E-check status says pending until 24 Feb. If it indeed clears on that date, I'll be ordering Friday. I'll post the delivery date once it is confirmed.

sounds like somebody needs to get a paypal account for next time.

And then there's skee. That guy has the ****-end of the stick. He has to break down MORE THAN TWO METRIC TONS of grain, ensure that everything is there that's supposed to be, sort it into individual piles for each person, and track the pick-up to make sure everybody get's their stuff. Last time he had to take time off work to get that part done.

Depending on day / time, I will gladly volunteer to help unstack / inventory / prep the delivery. Just get me the details.

Funny how one of the last ones to pay is the first to ask when it's getting here. Weird

I actually started heating water before I sent the payment .... It's all I can do to not send a bi-hourly PM... The pot has "boiled-off" 27 times

Thanks hanibal for the offer .
I it is on the table . You have my word a an Eagle scout and pharmacist.
I have avoided the hobby for many years , knowing that beer making science would be highly addictive.
I am presently looking at my wyeast 1028 english yeast starter spinning on my home made stir plate , it is on the 3 phase so I can use it a starter for a big arrogant bastard clone.
Having a good foundation in base grain would allow me to concentrate on getting a mill and preparation my hops garden.

Thanks bunches
Stu Booker
Cary NC

And then there's skee. That guy has the ****-end of the stick. He has to break down MORE THAN TWO METRIC TONS of grain, ensure that everything is there that's supposed to be, sort it into individual piles for each person, and track the pick-up to make sure everybody get's their stuff. Last time he had to take time off work to get that part done.

Depending on day / time, I will gladly volunteer to help unstack / inventory / prep the delivery. Just get me the details.
Add me to that list. I work out of my house so my schedule is flexible. If you need somebody to haul sacks into individual piles and check off pickups, I'd be happy to help.
Chad

Ok, all funds have cleared. I'll be placing the order first thing tomorrow a.m. Once they email the order back for confirmation, we'll schedule delivery date. I'll post it when I get it.

Once I know when the delivery will be, I will work out when the pickup will be. Then you slackers can come move all this **** while I drink beer!

marc06 said:
It was my first time and I didn't know what I was doing.....

Well, that's between you and your swmbo. Why in the hell did you write reelale an e-check though? I need this grain for my next brew!

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Walker said:
Dude... do you even have a mash tun yet?

Nope. I'll be using one of your guys' rigs. Probably dallas' as we still need to make cheese together as well.

Well, that's between you and your swmbo. Why in the hell did you write reelale an e-check though? I need this grain for my next brew!

And I'm sure one of us could spot you 10 freakin' lbs of 2-row. I think we probably have 3 or 4 metric tons between the GRABASS gang.

Nope. I'll be using one of your guys' rigs.

Ok.. just making sure I have the situation straight in my head.

You have no equipment to actually brew, but you are worried about when you'll get your grain.

There is an expression "putting the cart in front of the horse" that comes to mind here.

Ok.. just making sure I have the situation straight in my head.

You have no equipment to actually brew, but you are worried about when you'll get your grain.

There is an expression "putting the cart in front of the horse" that comes to mind here.

Or "letting all of the tools out of the shed" applies too.

Well, my fermenter is empty, and I want to get my next one brewed and fermenting so that its ready to drink before my first corny is empty. Duhh!

Well, my fermenter is empty, and I want to get my next one brewed and fermenting so that its ready to drink before my first corny is empty. Duhh!

I got bad news for you. You are already WAY behind here.

There is NO WAY that current keg is going to last you another 4 or 5 weeks.

Haha! Some did get it, it was honestly the first option that I saw. In other news, I got an email about a competition with LoneRider Brewing (www.brewitforward.com) I haven't been in North Carolina very long, so I was wondering if anyone was going to enter or has entered.

I got an email about a competition with LoneRider Brewing (www.brewitforward.com) I haven't been in North Carolina very long, so I was wondering if anyone was going to enter or has entered.

They made is basically impossible to enter. It was announced only 4 weeks before the deadline for submissions. No way I would be comfortable submitting a beer that was less than 6 weeks old.

Walker said:
I got bad news for you. You are already WAY behind here.

There is NO WAY that current keg is going to last you another 4 or 5 weeks.

Damn. What am I gonna do!

They made is basically impossible to enter. It was announced only 4 weeks before the deadline for submissions. No way I would be comfortable submitting a beer that was less than 6 weeks old.

You don't have to brew specifically for the competition! Don't you have any homebrew laying around?

You don't have to brew specifically for the competition! Don't you have any homebrew laying around?

Of course I've always got homebrew.

My point was that the deadline basically forced you into looking at what you had in the pipeline for a submission. no chance to brew up something specifically for the competition.

Yup, it's a very good idea that was badly marketed. I suspect they had some success with previous Brew it Forward events and didn't think they needed to publicize this one. Or they just got behind (like the rest of us) and announced it late.

To be fair, one of the requirements is
Lonerider must be able to brew your beer (grain to glass) in no more than four weeks.
The opening date was February 1 with a close date of March 5, so in theory if you knew it was coming you could purpose-brew a beer for the competition. Otherwise you're screwed.

I know I got the email from Lonerider announcing the contest and thought, "Hey that looks grea . . . oh, maybe next year."

To be fair, one of the requirements is

Lonerider must be able to brew your beer (grain to glass) in no more than four weeks.

I actually was complaining about this specific point a few weeks ago and was wondering if it was the reason that they announced so late.

It's not fair to push a professional brewery's 4 week schedule on a homebrewer. They have equipment that can carb up multiple barrels of beer in a matter of a couple of hours. But a homebrewer who bottles their beer has only one option, and that is to wait for at 2 weeks for their beer to carb.

Hey guys, since you all are on here BS'n
I'm putting an APB out for a cheap fridge if you know of anything. (currently checking Craigs List)
If you want to hear about bad timing.......I kegged two diff beers last night and was so excited about actually having 3 different beers on tap when my kegerator quit on me.
WTF? I've been brewing strong for a few months now so I can have variety Bahhhh....

Delivery date is set for Wednesday, 2 March, 2011 to the following location:

Fullstream Brewing
726 Rigsbee Ave.
Durham, NC 27701

I'll post if there is a change.

Good brewing, all.

Delivery date is set for Wednesday, 2 March, 2011 to the following location:

Fullstream Brewing
726 Rigsbee Ave.
Durham, NC 27701

I'll post if there is a change.

Good brewing, all.

For you new guys, and you old guys that just don't pay attention and follow directions, this does NOT mean that pickup is next Wednesday!!! I will go to the brewery today and find out what day works for them and we will go from there. I have a meeting next Wednesday night and I am going to the hockey game Thursday so we'll have to sort it out with my and the brewery's schedules. I will report back after I talk to them with a potential pickup date.

Damn, you all have another order in place already. I should be ready next time. Love having bulk grain and hops lying around. Since mid-jan I've done 20 gal of IIPA, 10 gal American wheat and 10 gal of brown ale.

So they've got a pretty busy brewing schedule next week. How do you all feel about a Saturday am pickup? Say 9:00. Please respond with whether or not you could show up between 9-10 next saturday. Thanks.

Saturday works great for me. Actually much better than Friday or any other day (other than maybe Sunday).

So they've got a pretty busy brewing schedule next week. How do you all feel about a Saturday am pickup? Say 9:00. Please respond with whether or not you could show up between 9-10 next saturday. Thanks.

are they going to open the tasting room for us? :D

Latest posts

Back