Can I use Co2 to carbonate individual 2L bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGravity

Reaction score
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=245

I was planning on buying the above system, and the co2 tank locally, to carbonate my beers in 2L bottles as I drink them. My idea is like this:

-do a 44L batch and put into 22 - 2L cider or pop bottles with less headspace than normal, bc use no priming sugar at all. Or leave a tiny amount but shoot a bit of Co2 at bottling.
-Keep the bottles 2 weeks in the closet for an average beer, then put 2 of them into the fridge for a day.
-Then carbonate them using this above product and return to fridge or drink.

I don't have the time or $$ to keg and store in a fridge, but I was thinking that this is a good way to bottle condition without having the rise and fall of activity caused by the priming sugar. Maybe for special higher gravity batches continue using the normal priming carbonation, but for simple lagers or pilsners that are drunk everyday this could condition the beer better in a 3-3.5 week period than the same amount of time with carbonation in the bottle. Does that make sense?

What do you guys think? I am guessing the head from using such a system would be unreliable, but can't see any other problems.....

I think it would be a pain in the a** to carb that way and not worth the effort. I see this happening. Chilling the bottles down, hooking to CO2, jacking the pressure up, shaking the bottles to asorbe the co2 and over carbonating the beer. I'm sure after a few dozen, you may be able to get pretty good at being consistent and carbing this way. If you are going to bottle and store for 2.5 weeks anyway, just add the priming sugar then. This system would help an already opened bottle by "keeping" longer. FWIW I would just add the sugar and wait another week.

Or get it, because you can use it when you get your keezer. :mug:

I have a buddy in Nova Scotia who uses this method as his primary storage.
He has about 20 carbonater caps which he uses on brews to carbonate and hold until he drinks it.
Not my way of doing it, but hey, it seems to work for him.

His method is to carbonate them all at bottling time so they don't spend time off CO2.

I agree it should work, but I too think it will be a lot of effort, even at the 2liter bottle size, at least for me. I like to keep things a little 'lazy' in this hobby...long primaries, minimal 'hands on' after brew day...I keg and bottle fairly equally between the two.

Probably what you want is a Tap-a-Draft. It uses either 3L or 6L bottles, uses CO2 cartidges and has a little tap that pours draft. Throw it in the fridge and pour draft beer. Do a search in this forum for a couple of threads. Takes very little space.

Most people that use those use natural priming rather than force carb, except for maybe the first bottle. That was my mode, typically. You really need to refridgerate and have CO2 pressure continuously for carbing, so that's partly the reason.

I just got a full kegging setup, so won't need it, unless it's my portable draft setup!

I'm surprised at all the responses here, I thought it was an easy plan:

Just bottle 99% full into 2L bottles and ignore them for 2 weeks while conditioning;
When you want a bottle tomorrow, put a bottle today into the fridge;
Spend 3 minutes force carbonating that single bottle/shaking it or whatever at time of drinking.

That way the fridge only needs todays and tomorrows brew in it, as well as the Co2 tank, at any given time. I always end up with spending too much time on bottling day, as this is also the day I start my new brews, and thought it was fun to spend a couple minutes a day immediately before drinking to carbonate. The only reason I thought to remove the priming sugar was to keep a very steady conditioning from day 5 in carboy to day 25, etc in bottle, so I could change the turnaround time from pitching to regular drinking from 5 weeks to less than 4 weeks for a pilsner.

The info in Bobby_M's illustrated method still applies. Plus, by shaking, you need to allow some time for everything to settle.

Now if you can modify his method (??psi for XX days) and magically hit perfect carbonation after XX days, you could keep a XX day rotation going. I have read some posts that claim that beer force carbed has a carbonic bite for the first few day so you may need 3+ days in your plan.

Back