URGENT! Bottle Sanitation Question Urgernt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefd60

Reaction score
Ok I was just soaking my bottles in B Brite solution, after I soaked the bottles in a light Ammonia and water solution to soak off the labels.
So now they are in the B Brite water and I have a bleach bottle with about an ounce of bleach in it so I decide to add it to the B Brite H2O, oh oh just a little amount of bubbles are coming from the outside of the bottles and and it looks like the H2O is a little carbonated. What should I do???

Holy run on second sentence....

Rinse and start over, without so many cleaning solutions this time... you know, so that you can say you spent your entire afternoon washing bottles.... :D

Stop mixing chemicals!!!!!! It is a good way to kill yourself and your family. :(

Personally I would rinse the heck out of the bottles and start over with your B Brite. You might want to check into getting a good no rinse sanitizer.

UMMM Im thinking that the bubbles are comeing from the left over ammonia residue mixing with the bleach. The gas comeing out is probably chlorine gas. I wouldnt breath much of that in. Its not a good idea to mix chlorine and ammonia togeather and Id get that out side fast.

yep, ammonia plus bleach = an unhappy ending. mixing chemicals is always an unsafe practice if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I know this doesn't help you much for this batch, but I switched to star san a long time ago and I'm glad I did. use 1 no-rinse sanitizer. it makes things a lot easier. I stopped using bleach because I was tired of worrying if I got it all rinsed out or not.

To get labels off I just put all my bottles in the bath tub and fill it with really hot water. I let them sit for awhile while I go do something else. When I've come back, many of the labels have already just come off and are floating. Some require a little elbow grease with a scouring pad, but it's not really a big deal. Then I clean them all with clean water and my bottle brush, and I let them soak in star san for a few minutes immediately prior to filling. I have never had a problem.

First off, stop mixing chemicals. This is very dangerous and possibly deadly.

Second, Rinse the bottles very well and start over.

Third, get yourself 2 things and 2 things only. 1 cleaner and 1 sanitizer. I use Oxiclean for cleaning and Idophor for sanitizing. Then follow 3 steps for bottles; Clean, Rinse, Sanitize. That way none of the chemicals are mixing and you will have nice clean, sanitized bottles. The Oxiclean is great for getting off labels as well. An overnight soak and labels just slide off.

Back