Star San and Foaming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondthepale

Reaction score
So, I decided to give Star-San a try, instead of my usual Iodaphor method. I used .5 oz. for three gallons of water, swirled it around, and drained the carboy. Problem is, my carboy is now a third full of soapy foam. Is this normal? Will this all just dissipate as the carboy dries? Or should I just rinse the hell out of it and go back to iodaphor for the sake of convenience?

Yooper Chick said:
Turn it upside down in your sink, and let it dry a bit. Lots of the foam will come out. If it doesn't, it doesn't hurt anything.

Well, I had it upside down on my carboy drainer, and it did seem to be slowly disappearing. But, I really wanted to get going with my brewing today, so I rinsed it out and switched to iodaphor.

Are you sure that foam won't hurt anything? I'd think it would be poisonous, or at least bad for the yeast...

beyondthepale said:
I'd think it would be poisonous, or at least bad for the yeast...
I have been using it to wash the 22 oz bottles I have and its been fine without rinsing. I have been using the dw for the 12 oz and star san for the 22 and I haven't noticed anything different. Star san is resturant grade stuff.

No, it's "no-rinse". As long as it's diluted to the package directions, it's ok.

I usually use one-step (old winemaking habit) because I don't like the staining of Idophor. But use whatever you're comfortable with.

Yooper Chick said:
No, it's "no-rinse". As long as it's diluted to the package directions, it's ok.

I usually use one-step (old winemaking habit) because I don't like the staining of Idophor. But use whatever you're comfortable with.

Interesting. I'm sure you're right, but I just don't feel comfortable using something that appears to leave a residue. (Although I have no problem with iodaphor stains, go figure)

You got all those bubbles from the gurgling...next time as you are holding it upside down (draining) do the swirl trick and create a vortex (the cylone as the water drains out) and most of your bubbles will go with the water.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
You got all those bubbles from the gurgling...next time as you are holding it upside down (draining) do the swirl trick and create a vortex (the cylone as the water drains out) and most of your bubbles will go with the water.:D

this is excellent advice....

Back