How much yeast for a 5 gallon brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindebeast

Reaction score
I recently collected washed the yeast from my first ever home brew. If I am to use this yeast in a future batch, how much of the yeast should I add per 5 gallons?

Thanks, that will help a lot. One more question; How would adding too much yeast affect the fermentation?

I'd actually suggest to you that using washed yeast on your second homebrew ever might be a mistake. Nail down all your brewing processes before getting into yeast harvest, etc.

Just one guys opinion!

I'd actually suggest to you that using washed yeast on your second homebrew ever might be a mistake. Nail down all your brewing processes before getting into yeast harvest, etc.

Just one guys opinion!

Yeast washing is very simple. No reason to not jump into it right from the start. You'll want to make a starter with it first anyway, so you'll be able to smell and taste the starter before pitching to mkae sure all is ok with the yeast.

Back