Dry Hopping in Keg = Hazy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beskone

Reaction score
Never dry hopped in the keg before.

I had a crystal clear IPA that was getting a bit old in the keg and I wanted to freshen up the hops a bit. Added 3oz of dry hops in a stainless mesh cylinder .

The beer while hoppier now looks like orange juice. Is this typical? Will it eventually drop bright again?

I don't really care as it tastes fine and I can just say I was going for a North Eastern IPA with all the haze :) Just wondering for next time.

Here's some before and after pics.

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

How long has it been since you added the hops? I don't know for sure but if recently added it might clear up with more time. It might also take a few glasses to get the sediment out.

I prefer to dry hop in the keg and I have never had it get cloudy on me. I would guess time will heal all though with regard to clarity

Yep, that's not hop haze, you bumped the keg. Dry hops add a bit of haze, but that's yeast and trub. It should settle back out again over time.

Yep, that's not hop haze, you bumped the keg. Dry hops add a bit of haze, but that's yeast and trub. It should settle back out again over time.

That makes sense then, dropping in a big stainless tube into the keg probably kicked everything back up.

Hopefully it'll clear a bit by Saturday when I'm planning on having multiple samples. Thanks all! :mug:

Back