Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I really wanted to get a refractometer because I like to check gravity several times throughout fermentation, and filling a grad cylinder a couple times can really add up (its my beer and I want to drink it all).
Unfortunately I found out they only really work with unfermented wort because alcohol messes up the reading.
I have searched through the forum and found people who say you can use adjustments to compensate, I use beersmith which even has a conversion tool. But a lot of people still say that doesn't work.
My question for you all is do you think this works? I dont care about being exact, I just want an idea of where the beer is at intermittently without wasting a bunch.
Does it work? If so Im gonna pull the trigger and get one.

Hey everyone,
I really wanted to get a refractometer because I like to check gravity several times throughout fermentation, and filling a grad cylinder a couple times can really add up (its my beer and I want to drink it all).
Unfortunately I found out they only really work with unfermented wort because alcohol messes up the reading.I have searched through the forum and found people who say you can use adjustments to compensate, I use beersmith which even has a conversion tool. But a lot of people still say that doesn't work.
My question for you all is do you think this works? I dont care about being exact, I just want an idea of where the beer is at intermittently without wasting a bunch.
Does it work? If so Im gonna pull the trigger and get one.

Yes, the tool works on fermented wort, and yes the use of brewing software makes it easy and accurate.

Get it. I used mine for the first time yesterday. I could take readings throughout the whole process, from initial runnings to just before pitching. I found it particularly helpful in deciding whether to adjust the wort preboil (the Beersmith brewsheet includes a line showing estimated preboil gravity). Thanks to the refractometer, I discovered my wort was below the estimate, so I added DME to make up for it. Adding a little at a time, I was able to hit the estimated preboil gravity exactly (the hundredth decimal point). That level of control resulted in also hitting the OG exactly on target. Very cool.

Plus, it looks and feels like a little lightsaber.

Back