Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabni

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm planning on brewing an Eisbock pretty soon. Have any of you tried it? Any suggestions? I was doing some research and it says that the IBUs should be at least 25 IBUs. Basically I'm brewing a Doppelbock and then freezing it, I'm hoping to remove 1 gallon off ice. My recipe says it's about 17 IBUs. After I freeze part of the beer, wouldn't the IBUs be more than 17? Perhaps around 25 IBUs?

I think you are suppose to make those with a weissebock if I am not mistaken. I am curous about this as well and how they turned out. I have a beutiful 8% weissebock sitting in a keg, just waiting to be tapped come December.

You could do it with a doppelbock too, but I would let you know how it turns out. I'm probably brewing the doppelbock within the next 2 weeks.

Here is what Jamil has to say in Brewing Classic Styles (based on an original beer with OG of 1.089, est FG of 1.024, est %alc 8.45 and 27 IBUS):

After lagering for 30 days, in a corney, move to sub freezing temps. Check every 30 minutes by shaking the keg. Once ice crystals form you will hear them sloshing against the side of the keg. Initially, the sound of the ice crystals will be faint, but as more ice forms, the sound will increase.

You want to pull it out of the freezer when approximately 20% of the beer has turned to ice (you will need to guess the first few times you attempt this).

Transfer the still-liquid portion to another keg, leaving behind the ice portion. If you wish you can let the ice portion thaw and measure the volume to use in calculating the beer's strength post-concentration.

If you remove 20%, it will be equivalent to:

OG 1.109 (25.8 P)
FG 1.030 (7.6P)
10.6 ABV (8.2 ABW)

And the color will be a bit darker as well.

Allow the beer to lager at least another 4 weeks (I have 60 days) before bottling or serving, but it will continue to improve for much longer.

Back