Any Ideas about this Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoxgoalie

Reaction score
I'd love to hear what some of you think about this recipe...and give me some hints on what i could do to improve it.

6 lbs Pilsen Malt Syrup
3 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
1 oz UK Golding Hops - 60 min
1 oz UK Golding Hops - 10 min
1 oz Brewer's Gold Hops - 30 min
2 oz Black Currant Flavoring - 60 min

Ferment at 65F for about 4 weeks. 5 days in primary, 3 weeks in secondary.

Black Currant Blonde?

Some flavorings/extracts don't hold up well to boiling and/or fermenting. If you are using extract you might want to add it to the seconadary or at bottling/kegging.

I would personally steep some caramel 40. I also would use the brewers gold for the bittering hop and finish with the goldings.

As foe the fermentation, I'd primary for 4 weeks then bottle.

What yeast are you using?

i'm using danstar windsor ale yeast. i just put in my order for the caramel 40 also..thanks for the suggestions so far

If you are using one of the flavoring extracts they sell for homebrew, just add it to the bottling bucket. It's already sanitized, and has no fermentables.

Half pound of crystal will go well.

Might want to use a different yeast rather than Windsor. It doesn't attenuate too well, and since you are using extract, you can't mash to get a more fermentable wort. I would suggest Nottingham or S-04 if you want an English dry yeast.

With all that syrup you are going to have an OG of 1.065, and using Windsor will probably end up with a sweet tasting beer with an FG around 1.022-1.026. Using Notty or S-04, you will probably get down to around 1.013-1.015.

That does seem like a lot of malt. Between LME & DME I use in my ales,I'm only using a little over 6lbs total in a 6G batch. Maybe make a decent starter,I'd say no more than 3C or so would do. I use 1 1/2C starters for ales up to 1.050 that are no more than 3-4hrs old. Or at most the morning of brew day.
You might want to let a starter sit for 24hrs or so to make sure it attenuates well in a reasonable time,like 2-2.5 weeks,imo. My small starters of 3-4hrs are ok,but sometimes take 3 weeks to reach FG. I'm starting to see that some aspects of a brew's flavors/aromas are a bit better if it doesn't take too long to finish.

Well,if it were me,I'd cut the pilsen malt to 3lbs. Keep the gold malt,the ounce of Brewer's Gold hops at 60mins,& the Kent Golding ounces at 20mins & 10 mins. This would give a better balance of bittering from the Brewer's Gold,& flavor/aroma from the Kent Golding at 20 & 10. Boiling aroma/flavor hops longer than 20 mins,imo,goes to far towards bittering,killing some or all of the aroma/flavors.
The Black Currant flavor I'd add to the bottling bucket,if it's just flavoring & not fruit/juice or any fermentable like that.
Then add priming solution & bottle. I don't think 2oz is that much,just a touch of flavor in a 5-6G batch.:mug:

I'd love to hear what some of you think about this recipe...and give me some hints on what i could do to improve it.

6 lbs Pilsen Malt Syrup
3 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
1 oz UK Golding Hops - 10 min
1 oz Brewer's Gold Hops - 30 min
2 oz Black Currant Flavoring - 60 min

Ferment at 65F for about 4 weeks. 5 days in primary, 3 weeks in secondary.
Here are the changes i would make to it.

6 lbs Pilsen Malt Syrup
3 lbs Wheat Malt Syrup
2 oz Black Currant Flavoring -At Bottling

Latest posts

Back