First batch in a Pin Lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmax25

Reaction score
Hey Folks.

I just got my first kegging system. it is a pin lock. I know that with ball lock kegs you can burp the keg with a gas relief valve. It seems that the pin lock does not have one of these releases. How do people prevent air from getting in their kegs? Can you purge the keg effectively?

If anyone has any other tips that would be helpful for a first time kegger I would also appreciate them.

Attach the gas, crank the psi, let it flow until you don't hear gas going into the keg anymore. Then disconnect the gas, and use a key, screwdriver, or something similar to press down on the valve in the middle of the gas post. Works the same, just a little more annoying

This way it releases the gas through the pin lock using the key, nail or whatever as if it were the pin in the disconnect?

I'd also suggest using something plastic instead of metal, I've dinged the rubber on the poppet using metal before and had to replace it.

You should look into replacing the lid so you have a gas relief with a spring-loaded relief valve. In the long run the static relief valve isn't going to help you much. E.g. Results for *Parts:Keg Parts. It may be worth complaining to whoever you bought it from that it's a PITA to have to disconnect the gas when force carbing to relieve pressure, etc.

My method... (QD= quick disconnect) When I clean and store my kegs they always have Co2 in them. I have a liquid side QD on my hose connected to my racking cane/auto racker.. I have just a gas QD by its self.. I prime the racking cane by loosening the top screw on the liquid QD and pumping the cane into a little glass and then quickly tightening the screw up when the line is full and then setting the QD in another cup with sanitizer.. I connect the gas QD to release all the pressure in the keg and then hook the liquid QD to the keg and fill it threw the dip tube.. just watch the racking cane and before it sucks too much sediment or air you just pull the gas QD off and that stops the flow.. Oxygen never will touch your beer this way and you dont need to purge your head unless there's a change from carbing pressure to serving pressure.... :mug:

Latest posts

Back