Guinness Black Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
I bought a 4 pack of this last night. It's Guinness's new attempt to open new markets. Like they did brewing stout in the first place.

I don't think this one will take off though.

It's basically something very similar to Guinness wort that has been lagered. Yes, a roasted barley lager!

To be honest, it's a little flat both in terms of head and in flavour. It doesn't have that hop thing going on like a good pilsner, but comes close to their other lager "Harp" which is a local lager to Northern Ireland, although it is exported to the UK.

Poured it is as black as Guinness, virtually completely opaque. The barley doesn't really give you much of a taste, I mean it doesn't taste like a stout, it just tastes a bit weird.

In the end, I had 2 bottles and decided I'd move onto a becks and then a bottle of my infected home brew.

Not even sure I'll drink the other two bottles.

http://www.guinness.com/en-us/guinness-black-lager.html

This goes to show that what is one man's trash is another man's treasure. Several days ago I picked up a six-pack. I give it a 2 thumbs up. I would buy it again. :)

I agree. I enjoyed it and will buy it again.

It's why I trust my own judgement over reviews. Beer advocate didn't like Turbodog or a dozen other beers I've enjoyed over the years.

I have to agree with the 2 posts above me...I love it. To me it's like drinking Guinness but with a whole different mouth feel..which is cool to experience.

Back