National Home Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to be attempting to do 2 AG brews on sat at my LHBS. Does anyone have any pieces of advice for me to insure I get it done in a reasonable amount of time? I would try to start the second one while the first one is boiling, but I only have 1 pot and I won't be able to heat the water for the mash.

Ok, so I am going to be attempting to do 2 AG brews on sat at my LHBS. Does anyone have any pieces of advice for me to insure I get it done in a reasonable amount of time? I would try to start the second one while the first one is boiling, but I only have 1 pot and I won't be able to heat the water for the mash.

do you have an extra bucket or something to temporarily hold the strike water?

what kind of chilling method are you using? If you have an immersion chiller, put it in the boil and run your tap water through it to use as your strike water for the next batch.

Even if you have a counter flow of some kind, you could still circulate the boiling wort while pumping ground water through to heat it up.

I would, except my counter flow chiller is made with a garden hose and you know the taste of the water coming out of a garden hose. It tastes like vinyl. I would think that off flavor would make it to my beer. Any thoughts?

I hope your beer doesn't come in contact with the vinyl hose. It should be in the copper inside the vinyl hose.

It works for an immersion chiller, I have done it to collect my next batch of strike water.

I have done 2 AG batches in a day, it is a full day of work, but the payout is awesome. I might do this Sunday. I have mother issues!

Best advice I can think of is to bring your stuff to Cap N Cork, and brew with a bunch of HBT-ers. You'll pick up plenty of tips, and get to hang out with a bunch of us, and try a lot of different folk's beer, ciders and meads.

There's pics of previous years here.

National Homebrew Day...I am a new Brewer and this is the first I've heard of this. I was already planning on brewing on Saturday with friends but knowing that it's a holiday makes it that much better!

Sorry to thread Jack but does anyone have a good recipe suggestion for an new extract Brewer?

National Homebrew Day...I am a new Brewer and this is the first I've heard of this. I was already planning on brewing on Saturday with friends but knowing that it's a holiday makes it that much better!

Sorry to thread Jack but does anyone have a good recipe suggestion for an new extract Brewer?

There's actually two brewing holidays, the first weekend of may and the first weekend of november. You can read about the history of this one here- http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/national-homebrew-day/about

The other one used to be called Teach a friend to homebrew day, now it's learn to homebrew day http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/learn-to-homebrew-day

There's even official recipes for the day- though I'm not doing them.

Best advice I can think of is to bring your stuff to Cap N Cork, and brew with a bunch of HBT-ers. You'll pick up plenty of tips, and get to hang out with a bunch of us, and try a lot of different folk's beer, ciders and meads.

There's pics of previous years here.

Damn, I would have loved to come if I knew about it before I called the recipe into my LHBS Hopman's in Waterford. They are doing the same thing there, and I am able to get my ingredients for 50% off.

If the Fed-Ex report is right,I'll be getting my stuff from Midwest tomorrow! Then I'll be (hopefully) combining both holidays. My wife will be doing her 1st,a BB summer ale kit. I'll be doing a an dark amber/brown ale. Maybe "Old Brown Mawg" ale. lolz.:mug:

Glad to see you got your wife involved. My Finance' hates the smell so she doesn't get too involved. She used to hate it when I brewed my extract brews inside.

My wife loves the smells,as we both like to cook as well. She loves my beer more than commercial stuff too. I let her pick out whatever kit she wanted out of the new ones our LHBS got in from tax money. The state of Ohio is paying for it.:rockin:

Back