Blow Off Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevirus

Reaction score
I am somewhat confused about blow off, not many videos or instructions I have reviewed cover it. Anyways I plan to make 5 gallon batches and will be using a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter what comes with a drilled rubber stopper and airlock.

The kit does not come with any blow off accessories and I was wondering when I would need to use blowoff...Is it necessary for my 6.5 gallon bucket?

Generally speaking, you will need a blow off tube if the head space in your fermenter will not accomodate the amount of Krausen produced during the high activity of fermentation. Considering that your vessel is 6.5 gal. and you are fermenting 5 gal. you should have enough space in the bucket to handle the krausen (foam) without the need for an overflow device like a blow off tube.
mark
Beer Diary...

Thank you very much for that information, I figured I might not need it given my vessel size but really was unsure. I will read further into blow off tubes for when I upgrade to a 5 gallon carboy. Cheers!

Yeah, when you use a carboy there isn't a lot of extra room. You may want to consider the importance of using a carboy before you give up on the bucket. I used carboys for a few years before I went back to using a bucket (a large one for 10 gallon batches) because of the ease and convenience. Carboys in the long run are a pain in the a**.
mark
Beer Diary...

I ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket as well. I have had some 5 gallon batches that require a blow off hose. Just stick you racking hose in your stopper and place the other end in a (medium to large) bowl of sanitized water.

Yes my mistake, didn't think the first got post since it wasn't showing up in my user cp.

Back