How soon can bottled homebrew be suitable for travel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to bottle 10 cases tomorrow and would like to send some beer home with my brother on Monday. He will have a 9 hour drive back home and I would like to know if the beer would be suitable to travel, ie is it too soon after bottling to subject the beer to ride in an air-conditioned car for 9 hours? I wonder if all of the riding in the car might damage the beer with the jostling around motion of the car so soon after bottling.

No worries.

If anything, the jostling will help keep the yeast in suspension.

The one thing I'd say is that you do want to keep carbonating bottles in a bit of a warm environment in general (i.e. 70-75 degrees). If your brother will be keeping those in the cabin of the vehicle and keeping the A/C running cold, just make sure he gets them into a warm area of his house when he gets back home. 9 hours at 65 degrees won't be a problem, but you definitely would prefer them to be a slight bit warmer for carbonation.

Thanks...I was just wondering about the small amount of O2 at the top of the bottle becoming a problem since there won't be enough time to have the yeast each it with the corn sugar to make CO2. I will remind him to keep the bottles around 68 F when he gets home.

Latest posts

Back