Pale Ale infused with Mandarin Oranges.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zip100473

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a pale or an IPA infused with Mandarin Oranges. I was eating them and thinking the slightly bitter rich citrus would be awesome in a pale or an IPA. Anyone ever attempted this? Where would I start. I'd like to formulate a All-Grain pale ale. Perhaps using english malts?

I was thinking of doing a pale or an IPA infused with Mandarin Oranges. I was eating them and thinking the slightly bitter rich citrus would be awesome in a pale or an IPA. Anyone ever attempted this? Where would I start. I'd like to formulate a All-Grain pale ale. Perhaps using english malts?

Yeah, engish malts would work. then maybe puree the oranges and add them to the seconday or after a few days of fermentation. Keep the grain bill simple so the oranges will shine. You could also try mixing american and NZ hops to get a mandarin orange flavor. When mixed I think nelson sauvin and cascade give a nice mandarin flavor

Yeah, engish malts would work. then maybe puree the oranges and add them to the seconday or after a few days of fermentation. Keep the grain bill simple so the oranges will shine. You could also try mixing american and NZ hops to get a mandarin orange flavor. When mixed I think nelson sauvin and cascade give a nice mandarin flavor

9lbs of Marris Otter and maybe a half to a pound of simpsons med crystal to impart a little sweetness and orangeish color.

1 oz of cascade leaf to bitter then a half of NS and Cascade @ 15, 5, and end?

Irish moss @ 15.

Thoughts?

My other unknown is where is a good place to start as how much mandarin to add? 32 oz? 64? Please advise...

Im only a week and two days in for conditioning. I think it's a fantastic beer. Great citrus backbone. The citra dryhop is amazing! Great orange color. I really dig it.

If you are puree'ing the oranges or zesting them, do not include the white pith in your brew. One of my only truly bad beers was an Orange Pale Ale that had way too much white pith when zesting. It tasted bitter and not a good hop bitter...just weird, unpleasant bitter.

cwdrake said:
Any thoughts on how to do this as an extract?

I would use 1lb of simpsons medium as specialty. Gold syrup or DME. There is a ppg formula but I don't have that in front of me....

cwdrake said:
Zip... how did you prepare the mandarins when adding to primary?

All I did was use a half gallon of water... Add mandarins. Heated to 160. Mashed a little. Held there @ 160 for 20min. Chilled in ice. Covered. Added directly to primary. Fermented for 2 weeks...

Cool. Sounds good. Every time I smell oranges I think about how great it would be to get that in a beer.

cwdrake said:
Cool. Sounds good. Every time I smell oranges I think about how great it would be to get that in a beer.

Use half the juice from one can too... Next time I may add a can to the secondary... Looks like brains when fermenting.

image-3915954856.jpg

I use orange in all my IPAs...my very first recipe is almost done and will be posted here. I add chopped orange at 20 then zest at 5. Puree in a secondary would really drive the flavor home but i want it more as a compliment to the beer.

And don't worry about the pith...I add the whole skin every time and have never encountered this fantom bitterness...coming on my 6th straight batch with chopped orange as well. Especially since you are adding such a sweet orange to it.

zip100473 said:
All I did was use a half gallon of water... Add mandarins. Heated to 160. Mashed a little. Held there @ 160 for 20min. Chilled in ice. Covered. Added directly to primary. Fermented for 2 weeks...

Zip...this may be a stupid question but when you say you "Mashed a little" the mandarins, does that mean you crushed them a little? And did you only add the oranges to the fermentor or the liquid also?

Thanks

Zip...this may be a stupid question but when you say you "Mashed a little" the mandarins, does that mean you crushed them a little? And did you only add the oranges to the fermentor or the liquid also?

Thanks

Not a stupid question... I used everything. And yes I took a stainless spoon and mashed it... I didnt crush the hell out of it. Just enough to break them open.

Plan sounds great.

I have an orange pale ale kegged right now that I'm in love with. My wife buys those small "cutie" oranges (hybrid between sweet orange and chinese mandarin). I took the zest from three of these (and squeezed another) and plopped right into the boil with about 7 minutes from the end. Pretty good orange flavor and blends very well with the all Cascade hop schedule and fresh Cascades dry hopped from my hop plant up north. I used Bells yeast.

I need to add a little more cascade dry hop and I think I have a brew that will repeated once or twice annually. I might even "dry zest" a little next time also.

Back