Boiling 250 liters (~65GAL) brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I am looking to up the scale of my brewing.

I am interested in 250L capacity per brew.

What would the cheapest home made setup be like?

I have seen some 250 liter barrels that go for $50 in my home country (Norway). Would they be any good? What type of gas burner would I need with that? :D

Thank you very much for your time,

and kind regards from

Marius

Provided the 250l barrels are stainless steel you could boil in them.

2 of the 23 tip multi-jet burners would be more than adequate to boil 65 gallons.

On our club system we currently have two 55 gallon drums, we boil approximately 45 gallons in each one, on one of them we use 3 of your standard turkey fryer burners together and it works like a champ.

Yes,

I believe they are.

Would I need an automated stirring for the system? A thick 65 gal mash would surely be too much work for one man?

What other components would I want to consider when constructing this?

How do I do sparging on that scale?

Thanks,

Marius

I'm thinking steam heating. I've seen a few huge SS steam kettles in my Navy times. I think the BTU with fire or electric heating would be enormous. With steam you'll need a boiler and a ton of safety precautions.

Hey guys,

Thanks for very helpful replies. I had already admired the club rig that you had built, and it is something like that I would like to make :)

How do you conduct sparging with your setup? And how is it done in commercial breweries?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Marius Jonsson

Latest posts

Back