Bavarian Hefeweizen SLC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
Hello, anyone in Salt Lake City been able to do an AG Bavarian Hefeweizen that is very close to Franziskaner or Paulaner? The ones I have done have a very slight sour overtone and are just not a near perfect clone. This is my favorite beer and would love to get some insight on how to perfect this beer.

:ban:

Not in SLC but I would suggest getting some RO or Distilled water.
And start reading this: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/vie...start=30&sid=5881bca96a102a3d2c2d1519fe5bc345
It will get you started. I am not after Paulaner as much as just authentic hefeweizen.
I just made two batches this week. Hopefully one will be close to what I want.

Good luck,
Flask

Thanks Flask, should I add anything to the RO water? This is a great thread you mentioned. I just have not done a decoction and am really not set up for it. Wondering if anyone has had luck getting really close to the Franzi using single infusion ?

I would try 1tsp of Calcium Chloride per 5 gallon batch as a starting point. For singular infusion, you can try to do a batch of EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen just do a search. Look at this as well, http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weissbier_Hell. Braukaiser's mash can be done with infusion, temp, or decoction. The grain bills for all of the hefeweizens are pretty close. In my opinion, I think you can get a good beer out of a single infusion but not what you are after.
I don't know your setup but fermentation temp control is paramount for success in all beers but especially this one.

For a hefeweizen, the devils in the details.

Flask

One thing that you might consider is starting with a Austin Homebrew clone of the one you want. They have a better selection of clones than most. Just buy your yeast locally I'd you can. At least until it cools off here. You could try Northern Brewer kit as well they are a little more open about there ingredients. That way you can have a good starting point and adjust from there.

I brewed one yesterday using Gordon Strong's El Hefe recipe and a split of Wyeast 3068 and white labs 380. Hydrometer sample tasted great. I have high hopes for this one.

Flask

One thing that you might consider is starting with a Austin Homebrew clone of the one you want. They have a better selection of clones than most. Just buy your yeast locally I'd you can. At least until it cools off here. You could try Northern Brewer kit as well they are a little more open about there ingredients. That way you can have a good starting point and adjust from there.

I brewed one yesterday using Gordon Strong's El Hefe recipe and a split of Wyeast 3068 and white labs 380. Hydrometer sample tasted great. I have high hopes for this one.

Flask

Funny, I actually did that for the Franzi AHS is awesome ! and it is the closest I have come but still not close enough. :) LMK how yours goes. I am so dialed into this I have to make a near perfect clone. I would rather not do the decoction, but will if it is absolutely necessary.

Haha. It becomes an obsession doesn't it. What was the AHS kit missing compared to Franziskaner?

Body, and that awesome clovey, spicey little banana flavor Franz has - it was like a very very lite version of it.
good but still not that close.

Ok you are looking for most of the same qualities I am. I am also looking for a little bready sweetness at first. Minimal banana with lots of clove.

I have come closer to my authentic hefeweizen goal!
I hope you have Beersmith, if not I will furnish the long version.

I would add 2 ml of lactic acid to BK instead of 3 and see how this works.

I used RO water for the grocery store.

No decoctions on this just a step mash.

PM if you have any questions about my procedure.

Good Luck
Flask

View attachment Kai Brau.bsmx

Latest posts

Back