Stripped screws? What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of building the collar for my chest freezer and I stripped out 4 screws in the process (Cheap drill bit). They all went in OK, but the second I tried to remove them, they stripped out. I should have stopped after the first 1 or 2... Is there a tried and true way of getting these out? Two of them are out far enough where I could take a hacksaw to them and cut notches, so I can remove them with a flathead. The other two are pretty far in.

Is there a good screw extractor tool? I checked homedepot.com and they don't seem to have anything ... no screw extractor kits.

They will have screw extractors in the store. It's just not one of those hot items to list on their website. You probably just found out the hard way that you should be predrilling holes for scews about the size of the shank of the screw.

I usually just clamp a vice-grip to it a spin'er around. Baring that a pair of pliers and a firm hand. Don't need no new fangled screw extractor.

Edit, just noticed that two are still sunk in. Would a cutting disk on a dremel reach it to cut a slot?

They will have screw extractors in the store. It's just not one of those hot items to list on their website. You probably just found out the hard way that you should be predrilling holes for scews about the size of the shank of the screw.

I'll check it out after work.

I actually did drill a hole but I think it was thinner than the shank of the screw. I will use a larger drill bit next time.

If the screws are phillips head, here's what I do to remove them:

1. Get a dremel with a metal cutting disc
2. Make a single cut on the head of the screw. Basically make a flathead screw out of it.
3. Take the screw out.

This can be hard to remove the screw without damaging the wood/metal around it, but it works pretty good for me.

It's really that simple. For really stuck ones, you can get a 2 part extractor where you drill a hole into the screw and insert a reverse twist extractor. If that won't remove it you're going to have to drill and re-tap it.

Oh, and be sure to ignore anything Tim Carter has to say about pressure washing. That is, unless you like replacing siding, decks, and shingles....

You can take a dremmel tool and turn it into a flat head, that usually works for me depending on the screw or bolt

Get some 5 minute epoxy and a couple of those removable screw driver bits. Epoy the bits to the screwheads and when the epoxy cures, simply remove the bit with the screw attached. Then give the bit and screw a whack with a hammer and they will separate. Been a gunsmith for 20 some years and I used this trick quite a few times.

Back