What is a normal amount of lees for this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NooBrew34

Reaction score
I have a gallon of hard cider, that I used re hydrated Windsor ale yeast in with the yeast nutrient and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. This batch has been in Primary for 7 days, and I was thinking to rack it into secondary tomorrow. It has been having some little bubbles at the top, and the airlock throws a bubble every ten seconds or so and has been doing so pretty consistently over the past 5 days. I was curious about the amount of lees in the bottom, there is maybe half of a millimeter. After being in primary for a week, with that much extra sugar, shouldn't I be expecting more? Perhaps I didn't put enough yeast in to begin with, or my non rinse iodine solution was too strong when I re hydrated it? This is my first batch and I'm hoping it will turn out awesome enough for christmas.

Thanks!

Does sounds like a small amount but, every one is different.

Check your SG before you rack to secondary. Sould be 1.000 or less, unless you're trying to keep it sweeter.

Dicky.

Back