Odd question regarding Dry Hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57668

Reaction score
First off, Hello. This is my first post here although I've been lurking and reading as much as possible for the past few weeks.

To the problem at hand, I was brewing my first *real* batch this Sunday when I noticed that the flavor/aroma hops I had got at my LHBS were oxidized. They smelled strongly of cheese and didn't want any of that flavor in my beer. So, instead of adding 3/4 oz. at 30 min. and 15 min. I added an aditional 1 oz of the bittering hop at about 20 min left in the boil.

My intentions were to dry hop with replacement hops during secondary fermentation. Will that provide the desired the results, or am I looking at a pretty bland/1 dimensional beer?

Here's what I brewed: Howtobrew.com basic recipe.

Lord Crouchback's Special Bitter

6 lbs. of Pale Malt Extract (syrup)
1/2 lb. of Crystal 60L Malt

1 oz of Northern Brewer (9%) at 60 minutes
3/4 oz of East Kent Goldings (5%) at 30
3/4 oz of East Kent Goldings (5%) at 15

I was planning on ordering some whole hops online for the dry hop as my LHBS doesn't have any English variety whole hops.

Thanks in advance. I hope to learn a lot so that one day I can start answering questions like this.

Cheers :mug:

Sounds like you did the right thing to me. if you dont already have it heres a link to a free trial for beersmith: http://beersmith.com/download.htm which you can use to calculate the IBU of your batch. The dry hopping will add a good amount of aroma without adding bitterness and I personally prefer a small dry hop for aroma to mid-late additions in a bitter myself. Let us know how it goes and feel free to ask any questions you have, no need to lurk :)

I like your new plan better than your first plan, personally. You could dry hop if you want, but there's no need to with that beer. The original recipe isn't exactly loaded with hop aroma, but it would not be a bad addition.

A Special Bitter does not call for any aroma or dry hops, so don't worry about it. That's the main difference between Bitters and Pales.

A Special Bitter does not call for any aroma or dry hops, so don't worry about it. That's the main difference between Bitters and Pales.

+1. You did the right thing with adding at 20 minutes... it will give you roughly the same IBU's... so you'll get essentially your own recipe of an ESB... if it tastes good (which it sounds like it) name your new recipe!

Thanks everyone your help and input. I don't think I'll dry hop this batch and just see how it turns out.

Now, time to find my next recipe while this batch bubbles and gurgles. :D

Back