New to Texas not to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I just moved out here to the Dallas/Ft. Worth Area (Euless) from Sunny Southern California.
I've been brewing extract and mini mashes for about 9-10 months now. I found this site while looking for cider recipies. Its interesting to see so many Texans here. Glad to hear brewing is popular here. Although, for those who live out here I'm interested in how you are able to maintain safe temps for your beers.
I live in a small apartment and I just can't keep the AC going ALL the time because its so expensive. Right now I've got a Sierra Nevada clone in the secondary in one closet that stays mostly cool (mid to upper 70's I hope... no thermometer to check.) and my Graff Cider in the bathroom where I think its staying in the low 70's most of the time.

Welcome!

Most people use a large tub with a constant ice bath. Swapping out frozen water bottles every day. If you need more cooling, throw a tee shirt over the carboy/bucket and let the water wick up. If you need even more cooling, point a fan at the wet tee shirt.

I've had a fan pointed at the bottle itself, and used a wet cloth yesterday to keep it cooler, but I don't have a temp sticker on the side of the carboy so I have no idea where its at. The bottle just feel "cool" to the touch now. Anyone know if amazon sells those? I've got prime so I could get them in 24 hours If I wanted.

Also, I've got a party keg bucket (I don't know what they are really called... the giant red buckets you put kegs in). I'll try using that.
Is the temp of the water in the bucket a good indicator of the temp in the carboy? If so I can just use my floating therm to get temp control readings.

Welcome to TX! I moved here just over 2 years ago.

Sent you a PM about the FortWorth Homebrew Brew In on 8/30! Hope you make it out

So Bummed... I am helping chaperon a youth event for my Church on that Sunday afternoon. I'm checking out the club site you sent too, i'd love to come and out meet more fellow homebrewers.

Fun Fact: I learned to brew beer at Church.

So Bummed... I am helping chaperon a youth event for my Church on that Sunday afternoon. I'm checking out the club site you sent too, i'd love to come and out meet more fellow homebrewers.

Fun Fact: I learned to brew beer at Church.

Brewin starts at 9. you can squeeze in an hour there before church

Back