Bottle shops in New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgwild81

Reaction score
I'm headed to New Orleans to go on a cruise next weekend. We are gonna hit up Abita and Avenue pub before we leave. I was hoping to pick up some craft brew when we get back. Are there any good bottle shops in New Orleans?

I found Abita to be one of the most disappointing beers i've had. I like checking out the local beer scene in different cities, and have been to a few. Having said that, New Orleans is easily one of the greatest places ever. All the locals i talked to drink High Life

I'm from N.O. and while I do sometimes drink Abita, and compared to many small breweries, they offer some good brews, it's not as good as it could be.
NOLA Brewery has a few good beers and their seasonals are very good.
Martins Wine has some good beers but recently, a few have disappeared and I think they are working with more obscure breweries to get more beer in. Believe it or not, some of the Rouse's grocery stores (local supermarket chain) have a surprisingly good stock of beers you don't normally see in supermarkets.

I love the Avenue pub. Just a homey type feel for me and I get there only about once a month.
Enjoy your stay here, I hope the storms stay out of the gulf. This is not the time of year I would plan a cruise.......8/15-9/15 is the peak of the hurricane season.

This is not the time of year I would plan a cruise.......8/15-9/15 is the peak of the hurricane season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we weren't really thinking when we planned the cruise. Thanks for the info. I'm from Little Rock and we get a few Abita beers, amber, purple haze, turbo dog, and restoration, but I'm like you. The beer is good, not great. I'm more interested in the beers they don't distribute in Arkansas. Keeping my fingers crossed they are better than the others. Although I do love Turbo Dog. That's my favorite so far.

I'm not a great fan of the Abita though I thought the Restoration was pretty good beer. However I had a bottle of Abita root beer (non alcoholic) and it was very good.

I have 2 friends who are assistant brewers there. I rarely get to talk to them but they get to make their own recipes there (gratis) and some of the ideas Abita gets is from them and others who homebrew. I'd love a job like that.

Beer-lord said:
I have 2 friends who are assistant brewers there. I rarely get to talk to them but they get to make their own recipes there (gratis) and some of the ideas Abita gets is from them and others who homebrew. I'd love a job like that.

That would be a dream job!

The only thing NO is missing is a good craft brew scene, way more of a liquor town. Still one of my favorite places ever, for the food alone.

The only thing NO is missing is a good craft brew scene, way more of a liquor town. Still one of my favorite places ever, for the food alone.
It's happening slowly but it is happening. There's more craft goodness lurking and more and more little restaurants are finding out what we want and are making it happen.

In our city, NOTHING is the same as elsewhere. We're so different we forget what we like.

I would suggest NOLA Brewery tour (Fridays at 1, I think). Their Hopitoulas is great and the Smoky Mary is back out for the season. The best selection of unique brews is a little delicatessen on Magazine St... Steins maybe?????? They dont have alot but they have some interesting brews for sale or at least they used to. I suggest trying the Lazy Magnolia brews is you can find them around town. Its an up and coming Mississippi Brewery. Timber Beast Rye IPA is NICE!

MississippiSlim said:
I would suggest NOLA Brewery tour (Fridays at 1, I think). Their Hopitoulas is great and the Smoky Mary is back out for the season. The best selection of unique brews is a little delicatessen on Magazine St... Steins maybe?????? They dont have alot but they have some interesting brews for sale or at least they used to. I suggest trying the Lazy Magnolia brews is you can find them around town. Its an up and coming Mississippi Brewery. Timber Beast Rye IPA is NICE!

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't ever heard of NOLA. Have to say Smoky Mary sounds amazing! I'll definitely be checking it out.

It's happening slowly but it is happening. There's more craft goodness lurking and more and more little restaurants are finding out what we want and are making it happen.

In our city, NOTHING is the same as elsewhere. We're so different we forget what we like.

Good to hear, I went to a brewpub last time I was there but don't remember what it was called. It was decent but nothing to write home about.

Like I say, one of my favorite places ever if just for johnny's po-boys and central grocery.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it was Crescent City Brewing.

hogwash said:
Good to hear, I went to a brewpub last time I was there but don't remember what it was called. It was decent but nothing to write home about.

Like I say, one of my favorite places ever if just for johnny's po-boys and central grocery.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it was Crescent City Brewing.

Crescent City Brewhouse is a tourist trap! Decent food and average, at best, beers. When it opened long ago, beer was brewed there and was better. Central grocery is awesome. Fogey the Brewhouse IMO.

Cooters is a hole but some good beers. Lots of choices but Avenue pub is my fav.

+1 to MississippiSlim. I love The Bulldog it has a huge selection of Draft beers. I found the AndyGator to be one of their best beers.

Not a fan of AndyGator but everybody likes different things. I like Jockamo alright. I guess Abita Amber is the best Abita to me and it is just a pretty generic beer. I drank high life when I was living in NOLA. (Unless I was at Avenue, bulldog, or DBA). Barley Oak on the lakefront in Mandeville as an AWESOMEselection on tap.

DBA and Frenchmen in general has become pretty touristy especially during events and on weekend nights but on weekday evenings it is mostly local. Sadly the best kept secret in NOLA (the Marigny) got out to the masses over the last few years. I was a downtown person so DBA and tourists was easier for me than the Bulldog or Cooter Browns and Tulane folks. LOL!

Back