My Very 1st Batch Might Be Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFear1980

Reaction score
Im nervous I screwed up my 1st batch. I had to laddle out some malt and water because it was over full I definetly need a bigger pan. But my biggest concern is that I might have added the yeast while my batch was to warm. I had alot going on and added the yeast at like 78 degress possibley cooler or higher cant be sure exact temp because I was overly distracted. No action yet but its only been 12 hours .

78's ok. 178 is not.

You have first batch noob nerves.....WALK AWAY from your fermenter and relax. Let the yeast do their doing, they don't need you hovering over everything.

You'll be fine, but unless you are brewing a saison you need to get lower than the low 70's. 65 is a good place to ferment for most ale strains. What you don't want is the heat generated from fermentation to kick your temps into the upper 70's which will create a lot of esters and fusel alcohols.

Back