Book about the types of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good book that gives a good account of the various types, styles, etc. of beer. I know, I know, you could fill a library with that info, but I'd like something that can fill in the gaps about what the different types are and how they came about.

I guess it might depend on what you are looking for out of the book.

If it's a summary, then the BJCP guidelines might be enough.

If you are looking for some history and guidelines to help you formulate authentic recipes, then I would suggest Ray Daniels' book "Designing Great Beers".

I learned a good deal about the different styles and brewing in general, from "Tasting Beer" by Randy Mosher.

If you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad/iWhatever there's a free BJCP style guidelines app that you can download. It's fun to look through when bored or for quick reference.

Homebrewing for Dummies also has style descriptions and examples. I love that book despite the name.

"Great Beer Guide" by Michael Jackson is another great one. I would probably recommend that or Designing Great Beer by Daniels

I'd suggest Martyn Cornell's "Amber, Gold and Black". Easily the best book ever written about British beer styles and their history.

If you want to learn anything true about the history of beer, I'd steer well clear of the BJCP.

Latest posts

Back