Witbier question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I have a friend who recently racked his witbier to secondary and he said that the hydro sample tasted and smelled like bananas. Of course I suggested that his fermentation temps were too high but he said it never got over 70 (he used Wyeast 3944 Belgian witbier yeast). I personally have not encountered this issue so I wasn't sure what advice to give him but I promised that I would throw some questions on this board to see If I could come up with anything. First, is this a common characteristic of this yeast strain? Second, will the banana flavor fade with time? And third, would adding orange peel and/or coriander to secondary help and what sanitation procedures would need to be followed to do so. Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated, especially by my buddy.

I am not sure about that yeast, but if it is anything like WLP300 then its suppose to be there. I have a Belgian Wheat recipe that uses 300 and it has the banana / clove taste. Thats the style though, nothing wrong.

There are ways to reduce the banana flavor, but only so its not overpowering, its suppose to be there.

WLP300 is not a Wit yeast. Wit yeasts should not have near as much banana aroma to them as the german wheat yeasts.

here's what Wyeast has to say about it:

Produces a complex flavor profile with a spicy phenolic character and low ester production. Phenols tend to dominate other flavors and dissipate with age. Ferments fairly dry with a finish that compliments malted and unmalted wheat and oats. Sometimes used in conjunction with lactic acid bacteria to produces a sharper finish. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=69

this is only going in the secondary, though. i'd say it will mellow out with time.

I am not sure about that yeast, but if it is anything like WLP300 then its suppose to be there. I have a Belgian Wheat recipe that uses 300 and it has the banana / clove taste. Thats the style though, nothing wrong.

There are ways to reduce the banana flavor, but only so its not overpowering, its suppose to be there.

I've used WLP300 in a hefe so I'm familiar with what your talking about, but the banana is much less desirable in a wit. He's more concerned with trying to reduce or cover up the banana if possible. He mentioned he might dry hop but I discouraged him from doing so because that doesn't stay true to the style of beer he's looking for. Using orange peel and coriander may deliver the desired results but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Phenols tend to dominate other flavors and dissipate with age.

this is only going in the secondary, though. i'd say it will mellow out with time.

Cool. This guy doesn't get to brew often so he was stressed about this. This will be welcome news for him. Thanks.

I suggested that his fermentation temps were too high but he said it never got over 70 (he used Wyeast 3944 Belgian witbier yeast).
Stating the obvious, but was that room temperature or wort temperature. I’ve used the 3944 many times and always have a very active fermentation with up to 10 degrees difference in room vs. wort temperature. Have to keep the fermenator at 60 or less for the first few days.

Banana smell/flavor isn't a phenol, it's isoamyl acetate. Hefe yeasts produce both phenols and banana, but wit yeast I don't think tends to do that. I've never fermented it hot, though, it may do that at higher temps.

Back