Resin Tap Handle Questions/Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
Hi,

I just came back from Italy and we bought a really cool spoon rest that has dried wheat and other organics encased in resin - I had the thought that this would be a really cool way to do some tap handles with grains and hops encased in the resin. THEN I had the thought that you could probably encase beer in the resin if you really wanted to...

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone gone to the effort to make tap handles out of casting resin with hops or grain encased and do you have pictures or a write-up of the process? I am looking more for how the mold was created...

2. This is a long-shot, but has anyone encased their beer as part of their tap handle in some way. Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Scott

Found someone that sells them online, but the shop is "closed" for a bit:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/198530946/belgian-wit-and-american-pale-ale-craft

Or follow this:

http://byo.com/stories/item/394-build-your-own-custom-tap-handles

il_570xN_635203188_j9i0.jpg

As for question 1, I am sure you have to do some sort of drying/preparation so the materials don't rot in the casts.

I have seen people fill old White Labs vial (or is it vile? hah) with grains/hops and use those as in this
attachment.php

I am sure you could make it work with beer, though I think it would definitely be best to pasturize it first. Then you have to find a way to make a really good seal so that it doesnt leak all over everything.

My dad used to make and sell epoxy casts of al sorts of stuff. Ammo, coins, scorpions...really. As long as you dry it out, you can make a mold if it. I bet soap molds would work great.

Back