Apfelwein in a bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMulvey

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I recently got into brewing and purchased the basic kit from northern brewer. I'd like to get a batch of apfelwein going so that it's (hopefully) ready around christmas/new year's time. Is there anything I should be aware of if I use an ale pail? I was thinking about making 6 gallons to minimize headspace but I don't know how that will affect the yeast (should I pitch two packets? make a starter?). If the bucket is a bad idea, I don't mind picking up a 5 gallon carboy/BB (I was thinking about getting one for occasional secondaries anyways) but I thought I would run it by you guys first.
Thanks!

You're going to get the carboy sooner or later, so this may just be the excuse you're looking for! But, if not - you'll be fine with a single yeast pack w/6gal in a bucket. The biggest problem is that you're bucket will be tied up for months while it ages.

Ya get a carboy, I think that cider always tastes better if racked into a secoundary and allowed to clear up. I think it has something to do with getting it off of the yeast cake imo.

I'm not sure you have the time to make for this holiday season. Most people think 2 months in primary then 3+ months conditioning to make it worth drinking... I've had mine in my primary for 3 weeks now and it's still actively bubbling... I'd make it now for next year.

Expect it to be worth drinking 6 months after the initial 2 months of fermentation. Maybe think about Christmas next year.

Make two batches... One with the Original Montrachet...and a cheater with Wyeast 4028 Chataeu Red... You'll drop clear in 3 weeks with the Wyeast...and be drinking it within a month...at room temp (78 degrees)... Not quite as dry... F.G. 1.004 but I sure do like it.

Back