Need to Re-carbonate. How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
So I was worried this would happen and my worries came true. When I mixed the priming sugar for bottling (3/4 cup) I gently mixed it into the bottling pail (to avoid oxidizing the beer). I proceeded to bottle and cap as normal.

However when I was done, I saw a descent layer of sugar on the bottom of the pail, making it look like only 1/2 the sugar went into the bottles at most. Sure enough, 2-3 weeks later the beer tastes great but flatter than where I live.

Any good recommendations about recarbonating? Again, the beer turned out the way I wanted and everything... just lacking the fiz! Its an ESB so I know its supposed to be a little less carbonated, but still...

thanks!

The easiest thing to do would be to use carbonation drops.

Did you not boil a bit of water with the priming sugar before adding it to th ebucket. Sounds like you added it dry and hoped it dissolved.

Since the beer is already in the bottles you will need something like coopers carbonation drops or Muntons Carbtabs. They are designed to be put directly in the bottle. Be careful though since your beer is already partially carbed; Muntons recommends 3 to 5 tabs for a 12 ounce bottle, you may wanna stick to the low end of that scale.

When I mixed the priming sugar for bottling (3/4 cup) I gently mixed it into the bottling pail (to avoid oxidizing the beer). I proceeded to bottle and cap as normal.

However when I was done, I saw a descent layer of sugar on the bottom of the pail,

Did you just pour the sugar in dry ? :drunk:

After you recarb, you might want to put the bottles in a closed plastic bin or something, just in case you have any bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back