Wine clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdaught

Reaction score
How long should I expect it to take for my wine to clear? It's been 2.5 weeks since isinglass addition and it is still a bit hazy, and doesnt seem to be improving since i last looked at it a few days ago. It is a Riesling kit vintners reserve. Thanks for any help.

Jdaught said:
How long should I expect it to take for my wine to clear? It's been 2.5 weeks since isinglass addition and it is still a bit hazy, and doesnt seem to be improving since i last looked at it a few days ago. It is a Riesling kit vintners reserve. Thanks for any help.

Give it time. When it gets cold, let it chill. Cold stabilizing will drop any remaining sediments.

With wine, it really depends on what is causing the haze. In most cases, time will fix it.

Most kits have finings that work, and I've never seen a kit with isinglass so that is sort of strange to me. But give it a while and see if it clears further on its own.

I'll let it keep sitting there. What is the usual fining agent in kits? This is my first one. Just ready to get it in the bottle and out of the oxygen permeable better bottle. It's been in there for over a month now. Kit says not to bottle til completely clear as it won't get better in the bottle. The kit was a Wine Experts Vinters Reserve Reisling.

I'll let it keep sitting there. What is the usual fining agent in kits? This is my first one. Just ready to get it in the bottle and out of the oxygen permeable better bottle. It's been in there for over a month now. Kit says not to bottle til completely clear as it won't get better in the bottle. The kit was a Wine Experts Vinters Reserve Reisling.

I'm not an expert on Vintner's reserve kits, but it seems like they normally come with KC finings. In any case, wait until it's clear before bottling!

Just ready to get it in the bottle and out of the oxygen permeable better bottle. It's been in there for over a month now.
You're way too worried about oxygenation from the better bottle. They're designed to be pretty non-permeable, and a month is nowhere near long enough to be getting impatient. Even with PET buckets people are generally happy to leave brew in them for up to a month or two with no ill-consequences.
The amount of oxygenation you get from a racking or whatever makes permeability in BBs look pretty insignificant.

Jdaught said:
I'll let it keep sitting there. What is the usual fining agent in kits? This is my first one.

Of the five kits I made, four had kielosol-chitosan(KC), and most recently peach ice wine kit had isinglass. Of course they all had bentonite up front. But with kits, if they are not fully degassed the fibing agent is known to fail. Are you sure your kit was properly degassed?

And I have wine in BB for a year and it just as good as the same batch in glass sitting right next to it.

I'm pretty sure it's degassed. Used a wine wand to degassed for a couple minutes then put in isinglass and hit it with the wine wand again for another two minutes. No gas detectable when tasting now. It's been 3 weeks since isinglass was put in and it is still hazy and has not improved since last look a week ago. Is there anything I can do to clear it besides filtering? Thanks for the info about the BB's.

I would contact WineExpert. They stand behind their products. They may say hit it with Isinglass again, or SuperKleer. Keep us posted.

Back