Ruthless Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's so cool. I heard it's supposed to be like a never ending fermentation for that beer. Something along the lines of they rack fresh wort into a percentage of already fermenting wort?

They might, but they didn't say anything about that to us. Based on their other practices, I find it doubtful, but ya never know....

Just had a chance to try this...they actually had it at the local Wally World here in NC...very good RyePA! (needs a little bourbon oaking, like my house version, but hey, good anyway!)

****,Walmart.:) Support your local liquor store.And community/local farms while your at it. Im still off the onions and catpiss wagon Ruthless,this thing is delicious.Still mild rye,damnit,malty sweet and chewy for god's sake. Ha. Spicey onion and catpiss,anyone?anyone? Amazing finish.Sitting ovation in Heaven. Im going to have a throw down with hoprod rye,redryepa,and ruthless.. Probably throw a cane and ebel in there too,ahh i love american beer! I think this is what makes me proud to be American.

picked up a 12 pack yesterday this stuff is yummy ,
and now another SN beer on my "to clone list"

overdbus said:
picked up a 12 pack yesterday this stuff is yummy ,
and now another SN beer on my "to clone list"

Have you tried Denny's rye PA? I have it in bottles right now (with the 1450 yeast) and I have to say it beats the SN ruthless in flavor and smoothness. But the ruthless isn't bad at all.

Have you tried Denny's rye PA? I have it in bottles right now (with the 1450 yeast) and I have to say it beats the SN ruthless in flavor and smoothness. But the ruthless isn't bad at all.

not yet ,but now that ya menchun it , i 'll be lookin

Check's in the mail, Jim! ;)

BTW, I grew up in IA. My mom was from IA City and I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Denny said:
Check's in the mail, Jim! ;)

BTW, I grew up in IA. My mom was from IA City and I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

I'll look eagerly toward the mailbox this week!

Iowa city is really nice- we've lived here going on 8 years. We are even getting a real brewery here this year! Largest in Iowa. It must be at least a 10 barrel system... Thanks for perfecting your rye beer recipe. It was a hit at the Super Bowl party yesterday.

I'll look eagerly toward the mailbox this week!

Iowa city is really nice- we've lived here going on 8 years. We are even getting a real brewery here this year! Largest in Iowa. It must be at least a 10 barrel system... Thanks for perfecting your rye beer recipe. It was a hit at the Super Bowl party yesterday.

You must be talking about backpocket? Just had the wooden nickle and jacknife on tap a few days ago-good stuff. We enjoy the dunkle also. I will be happy to see it in the bottle some day,maybe this year? I would like to road trip to McGreggor though, but hey icity= closer for me, cant beat that.

jonmohno said:
You must be talking about backpocket? Just had the wooden nickle and jacknife on tap a few days ago-good stuff. We enjoy the dunkle also. I will be happy to see it in the bottle some day,maybe this year? I would like to road trip to McGreggor though, but hey icity= closer for me, cant beat that.

Yeah- Backpocket. Opening over by the Marriott. Between that and Costco opening soon I feel a Golden Age approaching for our fair city!

Tasted this last night.

I don't think it's the hops that go too far. It's the rye that doesn't go far enough.

With a name like ruthless, SN should be pushing 30% rye. Its a shame if 10% is their limit... you should tell them about rice hulls next beercamp! Haha.

Really, compared to a 7lb 2 row, 5lb rye, 1 lb crystal 40 adventure I did last summer SN's rye is understated.

I did ask about rice hulls. Although they do use them sometimes, I was told that they're "philosophically" opposed to them.

Just had my first one. More to follow later tonight. Its a good beer for sure, but I'm not sure how it compares to Wry Smile. I'm sure I'll come to a conclusion after more research :)

Only picked up one in my sierra Nevada 6 pack sampler and I'm wishing I had grabbed more! Nice smoothe IPA with a great mouthfeel. Worth the $11.40 I will hav to pay for a 6 pack...

Just tried it tonight. $8 and change for a sixer around here. I thought it was GREAT. I also recently brewed Denny's rye pale ale, but had to make a few substitutions due to the LHBS not having the necessary hops and yeast on hand, so not real sure how close it was compared to how he planned it-but I sure liked it!

Anybody in Michigan north of T.C. see this anywhere? Been fiending for a taste, I've got stacks of Hopslam, both at my grocery store & party store, but cannot find any Ruthless Rye!

Does anyone have an idea how long this beer will be out? I won't be returning to the states until April 2nd and I HAVE to try this one.

Just had my first one (okay, three) of these yesterday. Delicious! What an excellent IPA for late winter/early spring. I think it has a bit of Celebration character in the hops and the rye adds a nice malty flavor to make for a good sturdy IPA for cooler weather. I love SN's seasonals. Now I just need to find some Bigfoot.

I'm a big fan of SNPA and Torpedo, but I wasn't blown away with the Ruthless (don't get me wrong it was good). I've been thinking about brewing a rye beer and spotted this in the grocery the other day and got a sixer. I never see Big Foot around here, I'd like to try that.

Its been in stores here for a couple months. I had it for the first time at SN beer tasting they were having at BJ's . Tasted like someone put their ciggarette out in my glass, I can't do rye beers apparently. Had to dump it.

BTW, BJ's tottally dropped the ball on the beer tasting. 3rd course in and I was stuffed, way too much food per beer. The guy giving the presentation didn't even know what IPA stood for and basically just read off a card. Probably only had about 5 mins per beer before they brought out the next one. More than once I was forced to chug the last of it before they would pour the next one.

At the end they dropped a whole bomber of ovilla off at the table for just me and I couldn't do anything about it, way too full. Pretty frustrating. The wait staff was awesome though.

I am actually having a glass of this right now. I really like it.

I heard good things about it in several places so when I saw a 12 at Kroger I bought it. I have to say I didn't care much for it. I'll try one again sometime this week, but I'm guessing it won't be much different for me. I'll swap it out for a 6 of something else for anyone local.

I really love this beer and will buy it again. I'd love to see an all-grain clone recipe to try.

I really love this beer and will buy it again. I'd love to see an all-grain clone recipe to try.

Try the Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA in the recipe section, then up the hops until you're happy. The rest of the beer isn't far away from the Ruthless Rye, IMHO.

I love the SN Torpedo, I love there HEFE, I was not that impressed with Ruthless Rye. The rye just comes off too peppery to me, and it drinks like a big IIPA.

Back