O.G. Not close to what it should be....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So, I did a coconut porter : original gravity was 1.072 which was right around what it was suppose to be. I went on vaca and have it in my chest freezer that has a temp controller on it and keeps it at 66-70. It has been cold here so it probably stayed around 65-68. I came back 2 weeks later and it is only at 1.030... I thought I pitched enough yeast but maybe not. I'm using safale us-05. So.... Do I just pitch it up to a mess up and drink it anyways, it will probably be pretty sweet though.... or can I pitch more yeast or what suggestions are there to do?
Thanks!

I checked it Saturday night and then rechecked just now. It is not at 1.026 so yes I guess it is going down. How long will the temp continue to go down for usually? I did rack it to secondary on Saturday night also. Does this have anything to do with it going down a bit more.... swirling around yeast and such or no?
I am using a hydrometer and it is calibrated.
Thanks for the help!

AAaaaargh, racking it to secondary was probably not the best idea, but, what's done is done. You will have less yeast in there now to get the job done, but, if it's still going down, don't mess with it. What's the current temperature? If it's on the low end, bumping it up a couple of degrees might help keep it going.

It is at around 61 now. I do have some washed yeast from another batch but same yeast from an IPA.... would it help throwing it in?
As a side note... when is too late to really have much effect in pitching more yeast?

Ok yes I am going to pull it out of the fermenting chamber and put a blanket over it and try and heat it up a bit.
What about the question of pitching more yeast and when is it too late to do so? Any thoughts on that?
Thanks for the assistance!

It also depends on how big your batch was, was a yeast starter used, what kind of yeast, etc.

1.072 is pretty big, I'd just wait it out.

Back