Worried about my brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william146

Reaction score
Brewed just my 2nd batch on Friday (took off from work to do it - not a bad way to spend a day off!) ... double IPA. Everything about Brew Day was smooth (the wort tasted good), but by Sunday I was worried that I didn't see any bubbles in my airlock. On Tuesday, I still hadn't seen any bubbles so I went to my LHMS and got some more yeast, but today read a thread that said to use my hydrometer and that bubbling airlocks are not a given.

I notice that there's a layer of trub on the inside of the bucket, so I take that to be a good sign. My OG was 1.100 - today is 1.000 ... what should I be expecting this to go down to? Also, the beer I drew for the reading had that "homebrew" smell and taste to it (hard to describe, but it's sort of off and I've had it happen to all of my brews).

Thanks for being patient with a noob!

If your og was 1.100 and it is now 1.000 you are done fermenting. Though I think that you might be reading your hydrometer wrong. It is pretty difficult to get an ale to totally ferment out. What are your fermentation temps, what was your receipe and brewing techniques?

Are you sure it started at 1.100? That's a pretty big beer, and for it to ferment down to 1.000 is pretty incredible.

What was the recipe, and what was the yeast. To ferment from 1.100 to 1.000 in a few days, I would say that you have a huge amount of simple sugars (honey, sugar, fruit juice, etc), and used a wine yeast, or other high gravity yeast.

Most ale yeasts will not ferment that low. That's 13% abv, most ale yeasts will give up before 12%, and even then you need to feed them the sugar in intervals to get there.

If it was brewed with malt extract, and you used a normal yeast, I would expect the final gravity for a 1.100 wort to get down somewhere in the region of 1.020-1.030 (70 to 80% apparent attenuation), giving 9.0%-10.5% abv.

Trub on the bottom doesn't mean a thing, it is just the solids settling out. A ring left by kraeusen around the top is a better indication of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back