viability of yeast stored in the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Hello - I started a big starter on Tues for a 10 gallon batch I had planned on doing today. As things turn out, brew day has been cancelled. I've got this giant starter in my fridge and would like to use it next weekend instead. Any issues here? Should I add some DME a day before to get it kicking again?

The main thing I would be concerned with is sanitation. Make sure you keep it covered well and in the refrigerator. I think I would treat it just like another batch of yeast. Create a starter for it a couple of days before brew day and, when ready, pour the wort off of the existing starter and pitch the yeast into the new starter. Then pitch on brew day as you normally would.

Once again,I think your main concern will not be yeast viability if stored in the fridge for just a few more days, it will be sanitation.

Good luck!

Let's 'assume' you have the starter container closed (careful that you don't create a bottle bomb if there is more yeast activity.)

With that, no worries, and no need to re-start your starter, just pour off most of the beer and pitch away.

you will be just fine. I actually cold pitch my washed yeast slurries from my fridge directly into my wort all the time. I used to make a starter, I don't even think that is necassary.

Decant the liquid and pitch the slurry, you will be just fine.

I agree with nealperkins and permo. I make a starter about 1/3 of the time and use harvested yeast every time and have never had a problem with a fermentation. That being said, the purpose for a starter is to make sure your yeast is viable, increase the number of yeast cells for proper pitching rates, and to get your yeast in a more ready state where they are already past the multiplication phase and ready to go to work on the sugar thereby decreasing lag time which decreases the potential for bacterial infection.

If you feel your yeast is viable, have proper amount of yeast cells for pitching and don't mind a small lag (probably minimal from letting your yeast sit for a few extra days) then as said, there is no reason to make the starter. Just pour off some of the starter wort, give it a swirl and pitch away. You should be just fine.

Back