Drink The Dregs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like Mead...I like Pictures.
Here we go.
These bottles are the dregs from my racking today. This is gently poured off the yeast cake after the racking cane got the good off the top.
Notice the one on the far left is pretty clear, this is leap Year Mead from a month ago when I racked onto beans.
The Second Bottle in from the left is the Leap Year Mead dregs coming off of the beans, then the First Sister (Strawberry Mead) and the Cousin (Blueberry Mead...23% Alcohol!:ban:)

The glasses are the hydrometer samples of Leap Year, Strawberry and Blueberry.

IMG_0096_copy.jpg

sweet, what did you have to do to get 23%? I have 5.5gallons of strawberry myself in secondary, but id love to see the blueberry recipe especially at 23% that sounds like a decade or so of aging.

Did you taste them?

Did you taste them?
Like...DUH!! They were already in the glasses...of course I tasted it.
I am actually surprised at how mellow this blueberry is. It isn't nearly as tough as you'd think it is. I'll be looking forward to a bottle in about a year....we'll make the decision then.

As for recipes...for now, check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65692
I'll post them so they will show up under my Avatar.

This picture shows the color of the blueberry mead better than the other one you posted did. I was a little iffy after seeing the first one that it wouldn't be pretty enough for me, but now I'm totally sold. I'm definitely going to use dried blueberries when I do my blueberry mead.

Save me a bunch of money, too!

Just to update you all, Some of these are nearly gone after many an evening sample. I've been keeping them in the beer fridge, and taking a swat once ever few weeks. It's been very interesting to taste how they are cleaning up....I hope the bulk versions (Without 1 " of yeast on the bottom) are cleaning up as well.

Back