Start to finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
How long does it take you from start of boil to pitching yeast and capping your fermenter?
Are you an extract, or AG brewer?

I am an extract brewer, and on average with a 2.5 gallon boil, it takes approx 3 hours from start to finish. That includes sanitation, malt cracking, cooling, capping my pail and pitching.

Same here, but there's a whole lot more to a brew day. It starts with getting out the water filter and ends, 6 to 10 hours later, with putting away the clean, dry kettle.

I brew AG BIAB

My typical brew day is about 5 hours start to finish, I mill my grain while my mash water is heating up, then once its time to dough and i hit my temps, i get all my equipment sanitized. I typically do 90 minute boils and do some stuff around the house. Chilling is a breeze with my wort chiller and then i pitch and about 15 minutes later everything is clean.

I start the clock when I start pulling out equipment and end it when everything is put away....so, 5 hours AG.

My last brewday was 5 hours 38 minutes (90 min boil, AG)...that is from the moment I got off the couch to get things moving till the moment I sat down with a homebrew after everything was cleaned and put away.

It can get quicker with a better chiller, other than that there isn't too much more room for a quicker brew. When you clean as you go all you have left after the boil is the pot and chiller to clean.

I will never understand why it takes some people 8 hours to brew...

I do partial mash brews. Takes about 4 hours, then I have to clean up. It's longer than I'd like! I gotta get a wort chiller...

944- by the time I am pitching yeast everything is cleaned and put away except for the keggle....and sometimes that doesn't get cleaned for a few days ...... that can get downright nasty!

One of the reasons I like brewing alone is so nobody bothers me and I can go my pace.

Many times I will dough in, then bottle a batch while waiting on my mash conversion and have that all cleaned up by time to collect. I love brewing but I have other things to do on a Sat or Sunday so I try to be as efficent as possible.

Back